Xbox360 noobie + Wireless kit

Soldato
Ok, this being my first console in a while, are there any does and don't with these as the whole concept of a CD based console is new to me?

I have heard it needs good ventilation, will it be ok on my solid wood side board with about 2cm around it?

My gamertag thingy is Yewen incase you want it aswell, need to get myself a wireless access point / router for PC to plug into my DG834, so anything you suggest would be most welcome. :)

Oh I feel like a 7 year old, can not wait to get my hands on it now. :p

Permabanned
As soon as you turn the 360 you will be amazed by the amount of option/menus there is. You can do almost anything, its kinda like booting up a PC.

The 360 is like no other console, the fun you can have with it is immense and the gamerpoints is another great idea by MS.

I dont think you need to worry about ventiation, aslong as the air can be belown from the 360 you will be ok.

I have added you to my friends list. I connect my 360 to my WRT54G with trusty cabling. I aint got a clue about connecting the 360 via a wireless adaptor.

Associate
Yewen said:
Ok, this being my first console in a while, are there any does and don't with these as the whole concept of a CD based console is new to me?

I have heard it needs good ventilation, will it be ok on my solid wood side board with about 2cm around it?

My gamertag thingy is Yewen incase you want it aswell, need to get myself a wireless access point / router for PC to plug into my DG834, so anything you suggest would be most welcome. :)

It gets damn hot so i would think with only 2cm around it would overheat :eek:

Permabanned
Yewen said:

ventilation wise the i make sure there is plenty of room at the sides of mine. particularly the right hand side as that's where the air is drawn into the 360 to stop it cooking itself.

have fun with your 360. they are superb and will get better as it gets older.

Soldato
OP
The right hand side of my console will have a whole room to get air from, just the left will be near my HiFi.

Cheers for the comments, first console since the N64 that has looked any good. PC fanboy and all, the Xbox360 and Nintendo Wii don't seem to be the same games with better graphics, they are actually doing new things, Xbox Live, Gears of War and the lack of arcade racing games on the PC. :p

Its a long way for me to make a cable travel, does nobody run a wireless setup with one then!?

Soldato
Yewen said:
Its a long way for me to make a cable travel, does nobody run a wireless setup with one then!?
Am using the microsoft wireless adaptor with my wireless netgear router here..

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

Soldato
It's the netgear DG834G 108mbps one...The one before the max range model...I had no problems with setting it up at all..

The only time i have had any dropouts have been went i been downloading lots of torrent files on the pc at the same time..

Soldato
Glad to see your getting one! What games you getting for it Yewen?

I would definately place the console horizontally, the most air is sucked in from the bottom/ far right bit of the console. I was playing GRAW for ages yesterday, went to feel how hot it was from behind and it was extremely hot for anything electrical in my eyes. My PC has never gotten that hot, even with overclocking the nuts off it. It must have been in the 90*C's. Ive never had any problems with mine though luckily.

Regarding the wireless you will have to get the official one, but i think you'll resort to ethernet for a while cos the wireless adapter is another 60 quid on top of your purchase.

Have fun mate!

Also what TV you plugging it into?

EDIT: GRAW is a definite purchase in my eyes, didnt like it at all at first but cant get off it now, going through on hard! Never usually complete games twice either!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yewen said:
What games you got other than that?

I have a lot, as so many people want me to play this game and that. :(

Oblivion and GRAW, not much else that interests me at the moment, i'm not into sport or racing games (although might pick up PGR3 cheap sometime).

I'm waiting for Gears of War to come out really :cool:

EDIT: About heat. I have my 360 stood up with the underside against my bedroom wall, there's maybe a 2inch gap. I was playing Oblivion for about 7 hours on Friday and didn't think the heat coming out of the back of the console was that hot.

Soldato
OP
TV will be a generic 28" Bush TV, its more of a family console and I am in it for the gameplay not the graphics so it does not really bother me at the moment.

I have Amped 3, PGR3, GRAW, DOA4 either in my hands or on the way. :)

The wireless adapter is £60 yes, but I need one as running a 20m cable through the house is not really an option. :p

Wireless adapter + a decent access point should only cost me around £100 so its not that bad really.

If you read the game offer thread you will see how excited I was when waiting for the hour to pop up. :D

Should have the console, Live sub, Extra Controller, Play and Charge, GRAW and Amped 3 by Tuesday, so should be up on live by Wednesday as I hope to order a WiFi Access point with MAC authentication sometime today, just can not find out if the Xbox Wireless is 54mb or 108mb, I have a 11mb ME102 now but it allows anyone to connect to it and steel my connection as the encription just does not work. :p

Soldato
OP
Ehm:

PGR3
DOA4
Wireless Controller
Xbox Live 12months
Play and Charge

Only thing I did not get that I wanted was the 360 Premium. :(

Soldato
OP
I was, hard. :p

SPEF got the same + the console. :(

Prepare for loads of threads of me confused, as it is not a PC, and I see consoles more akin to a VCR than a PC. :p

Can't wait for it! PC fanboy and all but the prospect of playing non serious arcade games is really appealing due to the multiplayer capeability in almost every game; just such a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom