Motorbikes + speed cameras

Associate
Hi guys, saw a motorbike fly past me, obviously speeding the other day whilst i was driving in Notts. It was down a stretch of road where there were digi speed cameras mounted on the tall poles. I gave the bike a quick flash incase he wasnt aware ... then i thought hang on, bikes dont have front number plates so theres no risk of him being done is there? Same with forward facing scamera vans.

So am i right in thinking the only cameras that are going to catch bikes are the GATSOs which photo the rear plates?

Seems a little unfair to me, think ill just pop out and remove the front plate from my car.

Soldato
Yep, SPECS can't do anything about bikes. I'd probably advise not speeding over removing your front numberplate though ;)

I'm actually quite 'for' SPECS cameras. They are far less dangerous than the 'argh.. slam on!' GATSOs, and I've only ever seen them in places where a slower limit is actually needed (rather than being a cash cow). When they were doing the roadworks over Christmas a few years ago on the M62 they even turned them off when the workers weren't around.

Soldato
A bike can speed towards a camera and get flashed, obviously there is nothing to identify the bike, but I know of people who have done this to excess and the police have got plenty of mug shots of the bike and biker and thats enough evidence to prosecute the biker. They soon notice where the speeding offences take place and can sit around at the right time and they will most probably see you.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
lukechad said:
but I know of people who have done this to excess and the police have got plenty of mug shots of the bike and biker and thats enough evidence to prosecute the biker.QUOTE]

Whoops :p
Good job my bike is dead now then. ;)

Man of Honour
Beepcake said:
Yep, SPECS can't do anything about bikes. I'd probably advise not speeding over removing your front numberplate though ;)

I'm actually quite 'for' SPECS cameras. They are far less dangerous than the 'argh.. slam on!' GATSOs, and I've only ever seen them in places where a slower limit is actually needed (rather than being a cash cow). When they were doing the roadworks over Christmas a few years ago on the M62 they even turned them off when the workers weren't around.

Agreed - I think SPECS are actually proper speed enforcement and are a fair and safe way of doing it. :)

I have to say I've set off a few FWD facing cameras on my bike before *looks innocent*.... You have to be careful your tax disc isn't visible either.

It's less fair I guess, but you still run the risk of being caught depending on how vigilant they are with the pictures and tracking you down from CCTV or any other recording devices or plainly any obvious identifying features.

Soldato
I used to set them off whilst filtering on the nottingham ring road... Untill it suddenly clicked that I had some kind of death wish and should probably slow down a bit :eek:

My bike got nicked earlier this year, so I'm stuck with only a car for now, and it's not fast enough to set off any cameras anyways :D

I do sometimes wonder why on earth they would install forwards facing cameras these days when they know full well that some cars speed yet almost every motorbike is going to be speeding :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Beepcake said:
I'm actually quite 'for' SPECS cameras. They are far less dangerous than the 'argh.. slam on!' GATSOs, and I've only ever seen them in places where a slower limit is actually needed.

What like the M25...

Man of Honour
Jonny69 said:
Bah, didn't quite get the front wheel in the air in time today. Stupid pathetic underpowered 125. I'm getting me a proper bike :mad:

One that can REALLY break the speed limit...

What you need is a nice StreetFighter FZR400, not silly quick, but brilliant on the twisties and....cheap insurance :D

Associate
Jonny69 said:
If you put your plate in the right place you can stick your hand or foot over it too :D

Was speaking to a copper a while ago and he was telling me about a biker and pillion who did that on a fairly regular basis but each time the hand was in a slightly different position and they were building up the plate a bit at a time. I wouldn't like to be that biker when they work out the whole reg!

Don
Sirrel Squirrel said:
Is the M25 specs cameras? :eek: Oh o

I always thought the cameras on the gantries over the variable speed limit were just digital that take your picture if you speed through them.

the variable limit ones are gantry mounted gatsos

Back
Top Bottom