Is my flatmate being an awkward goit?

Soldato
Basically he owed me some money for bills, I'd forgotten to ask him for this just before I went away on holiday, so text him saying this is how much he owed me and could he do it on the day if possible.

I got the response "Hi, yes I can. But in future I would like more notice and would also like to see a copy of all the bills. Also is your girlfriend going to be contributing to the bills?"

That made my blood boil for a good few mins, and I had to calm myself down a bit before writing back a diplomatic response.

The bills come through the front door, I'm the only one who ever opens them and pays them. He's more than welcome to open them himself.

Also my GF is round here probably 4 or 5 nights a week, the only resource that gets used more to any significant amount is the water (Extra shower in the morning). If she wasn't here, I would still be using the gas hob, still be watching the TV and still be using the computer just as much.

So I say this to him and he doesn't agree. Seeing as i'm moving out soon anyway I strike a deal with the GF just to keep the peace. To which my flatmate agrees to.

Does anyone else think he's being an awkward git?

I haz 4090!
Don
People normally start acting arsey when you ask them for cash. Just grit your teeth and get on with it. I think you handled it well. It is right that she pay a little though. :)

Soldato
Possibly awkward with not paying attention to the bills.
Not awkward asking for notice, as he may need to juggle funds.
Semi awkward with the girlfriend thing as if she spends a lot of time there, and uses utilities, it may contribute to the bills. What you see as 'not being around much' and 'having the odd shower', he may see as 'always around our living space, raising our bills, and doesn't pay a penny'.

Don
Seems perfectly reasonable to me to expect to see the bills, and if you're girlfriend is staying the night (ie effectively living there) on many an occasion then it would be reasonable to expect her to contribute something as well.

Jokester

Permabanned
Tell him he could slam your girlfriend if he just pays the bills, and when he does pay the bills make it look like he made it up and is so sick that you and the other flatmates decide to kick him out of the house. Enjoy :D

Soldato
The notice thing is fair enough, in regards to the gf just have her do the shopping or somthing every once in a while - should be fair enough.

Soldato
Ask him nicely to open and deal with the bills in future and request payment from you instead, and get your other half to cook some meals or bring him some booze when she comes round.

Sorted.

Soldato
OP
squiffy said:
Who are the letters addressed to? You?
I agree with him on his girlfriend comments, she is pratically living there.

Addressed to me and the previous tenant, seeing as he took the place of the previous tenant it seems pretty logical to me to accept the responsibility of opening it in their place.

Is it really that hard to see that it's a bill he has to contribute to

Soldato
OP
William said:
The notice thing is fair enough, in regards to the gf just have her do the shopping or somthing every once in a while - should be fair enough.

See i'm not sure about the notice thing either, he does literally nothing with his spare time.

I was owed money I was calling it in.

As for food and stuff we buy our own stuff anyway, so nothing to complain about there really.

Soldato
to be fair she should contribute a little.

At uni, one of my housemates has his girlfriend round EVERY day and night that he is there. They are no longer seperated. She would never contribute to any of the bills even though the other four of us think she should.

Then he had the nerve to say that he doesn't think he should pay his share of the £3 a month for the internet as he can't get it on his computer.. Even though we all agreed to it at the start of the year and the only reason he can't is his network card is broke. Even then, his Mrs brings her laptop round and uses the internet. Then showers... uses some more electric whilst she watches TV and he does work....

So yeah, I don't think your flatmate is being unreasonable. You have every right to have the girlfriend round, of course you do, but she will be using utilities at the end of the day. Electric for the hairdryer, water for her face, toilet flushes, washing her hands, turning a light on while she goes in the bathroom.... :p I'm a moody housemate so I can pick up on these things :p

Hope you get it resolved though. He was maybe a bit arsey with the way he wants more notice.. Sometimes you forget to tell him straight away, so what. He can open the bills himself if he wants..

Caporegime
As to the girlfriend thing, would you mind if i move in 5 nights a week? I'll get my own food but only use the showers.

I am afraid he seems to be reasonable on this one, asking to see the bill is nothing out of the ordinary. Plus you did say you mention to tell him and wanted it on the day.

Caporegime
This is why when i came to uni i was told to make sure i wasnt the one with my name on any of the bills. My sister had problems with one of her flatmates and ended up paying about £100 because the flatmate wouldnt pay anything.

And OT i dont think he is being too bad if she spends that much time at your house.

Soldato
OP
Not to mention the fact that all the bills bar the water have to date been estimates, so it doesn't actually effect the amount at all.

imo any extra really is minimal and certainly doesn't add up to a whole extra person.

Soldato
He does have a point. Either get your lass to chuck a bit cash in, or take a bit of a bigger chunk of the bill yourself. If your mates start bringing lasses hoem then you can do the same move back.

Back
Top Bottom