Star Trek Questions.

Permabanned
So, I've just spent an hour watching Star Trek Voyager because I couldn't find anything else decent on.

But one thing that strikes me as odd, and as a series revolving around space travel, it seems a major flaw.

Say they are travelling at full impulse or whatever, and then they get hit and their engines go offline, why do they come to a stop.

There is no resistance in space, so why does the ship grind to a halt, surely it would keep going until an opposite force slowed it down?

Also, how can a hologram fall in love? That is just daft, it's made out of light.

Soldato
I'm guessing the fluff behind it is that as a safety feature when the impulse engines get knocked out the manouvering thrusters kick in to stop the ship and preventing it flying into trouble.

Soldato
iCraig said:
Jeri Ryan doesn't exist? :(

</3
She does, but 7 of 9 doesn't.

417.gif

Maybe this diagram might help. :p

Mic

Mic

Soldato
If you relly want to know check out stardestroyer.net . has to be one of the geekiesr forums ever. its all about the technical sides of star wars and star trek. they even go head to head down to pathetic things like hull thicknness, power of phasers/canons. sees of ships etc.

they have reason for EVERYTHING.

Soldato
i like the way they get around how when travelling at the speed of light nobody gets splashed on the back wall....

cant remember what they called it.. but it was clever :p

Man of Honour
Mic said:
If you relly want to know check out stardestroyer.net . has to be one of the geekiesr forums ever. its all about the technical sides of star wars and star trek. they even go head to head down to pathetic things like hull thicknness, power of phasers/canons. sees of ships etc.

they have reason for EVERYTHING.

...and you knew of this site how exactly?

Suspended
im a star trek nerd so my guess is when impulse power is down the ships thrusters kick in and bring it to a stop straight away because they dont want to be drifting in space into a planet or something

Suspended
lemonkettaz said:
i like the way they get around how when travelling at the speed of light nobody gets splashed on the back wall....

cant remember what they called it.. but it was clever :p

Interia dampners. :) Even if a ship could accelerate from sub light to light speed in a second the should would just atomize, not just the people on board.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

They only appear to stop because space looks pretty much the same in all directions ;)

Permabanned
OP
Also, they have sectors of space, like the neutral zone. That has a border.

and they say stuff like "it will take us months to go around because it's over 50 light years across"

Yeah well space is 3 dimensional so go under it or over it.

Soldato
iCraig said:
Also, they have sectors of space, like the neutral zone. That has a border.

and they say stuff like "it will take us months to go around because it's over 50 light years across"

Yeah well space is 3 dimensional so go under it or over it.

You'd reckon the border would be 3 dimensional as well then wouldn't you ;) :p

Soldato
iCraig said:
So, I've just spent an hour watching Star Trek Voyager because I couldn't find anything else decent on.

But one thing that strikes me as odd, and as a series revolving around space travel, it seems a major flaw.

Say they are travelling at full impulse or whatever, and then they get hit and their engines go offline, why do they come to a stop.

There is no resistance in space, so why does the ship grind to a halt, surely it would keep going until an opposite force slowed it down?

Also, how can a hologram fall in love? That is just daft, it's made out of light.

I cant believe im typing this.

If the Warp engines go "off line" then the ship stops, as to move faster than light they have to create a warp "field" the ship then sort of moves out side of real space, if the field collapses or the engines stop then the ship drops out of warp and as the ship had no real momentum in the first place it just, stops.

The impusle engines are normal engines, if the ship is moving under impulse power it is moving in real space and normal rules of physics apply.

:o

I like star trek, so kill me.

Back
Top Bottom