Mondeo ST24 opinions

Don
As my quest for a decent daily runner continues I am now looking at a 2000 X reg Mondeo ST24.

The car I'm looking at is in Silver, 55K, full MOT, 6 months TAX, Full service history, RSAP bodkit, half leather seats etc etc.

What are people's opinions on these?

Whats the MPG like? Power?

Cheers

Caporegime
What is your budget? I liked the ST200 I drove, and couldn't imagine the ST24 being "that" much different. Don't expect mega MPG, especially if you are using it around town, and don't expect blistering performance, however it definately isn't slow!

Man of Honour
If you could stretch to an ST200 I'd try that, however the ST24 I had was wonderful actually. Very understated car, and a lot poke-ier than people really appreciate.

I remember the 1st RR day I went on I was convoying with Will Gill in his scoob, and he was impressed that he wasn't able to shake me too much at motorway speeds ;)

I had a really nice stainless steel aftermarket exhaust fitted, had an ecu remap and an induction kit put on - it was great. Sounded really nice - people who saw it will concur.

MPG it depends I could get very high 20s maybe 30 on long runs, but normally it was in the low 20s owing to my driving style.

They are comfortable cars, not a sports car but a good cruiser for sure.

Don
OP
Excuse me here but how many miles would you get to £20 say?

Sorry, I've been driving 4 years and had a few cars, I usually compare one from another to how many miles I get to £20! LOL...

Cheers for the replies so far, I've read the Parkers guide, just wanted some opinions that are directed at the ST24 only.

Cheers

P.S unfortunately cannot stretch to the price of the ST200's. :(

Guv

Guv

Soldato
I have a 1998 'R' ST24 with 128k on the clock in panther black.

I've had it for 5 months and it's great to drive, fun, handles well, not bad power :)

I average about 23-24mpg, that's mixed driving. Town drive will see 20mpg or less and on the motorway the most I've had is 28mpg, although others say they can get better.

How much is that one up for?

Also have a read on http://www.fordmondeo.org
There are a couple of common problems - metal waterpump (although yours may already have one as it's a 2000), lower arm (wishone) bushes, IMRC controller etc. that are worth looking at.

Associate
Ive had mine just over a year now and cant say ive had any real problems with it. Running costs aint too bad but is does like to drink fuel if you have got a heavy right foot. For the prices these can be had nowadays they are fantastic, you get a good spec decent handling and decent performance. Insurance is pretty reasonable aswell - I was paying £850 at 21 with 0ncb.

Guv

Guv

Soldato
andybtsn said:
Excuse me here but how many miles would you get to £20 say?

Sorry, I've been driving 4 years and had a few cars, I usually compare one from another to how many miles I get to £20! LOL...

About 110-120 miles to £20

Soldato
It's the same engine as in my mk3, although my car is slightly heavier than an ST24 so you might do a little better than these figures:

My average from my last full tank was 23.3 mpg, most of this was motorway and A road work, with about 10% of milage being in town.

Best case scenario, yesterday I did 70 miles and it wasn't too busy so managed to keep to a fairly constant speed and was making a real effort to try and save fuel (tank was nearly empty)... slowing down in advanced for traffic lights that are red so they're green when I get there etc.

I managed 32.5 mpg and this is the best I've seen out of it.

I generally get mid to high 20s on the motorway (I generally do most of my motorway driving at night though and silly speeds may be involved).

I've just put £50 of fuel in and reset the trip computer, I'll report back with more findings in a week or so!!

Oh, and from £20, about 100 - 125 miles obviously varying a lot depending on your driving style etc. You could probably get 150 to 175 miles out of £20 if you went to silly measures to be frugal.... but then if you were that bothered about it surely you'd be buying a 4 cylinder model instead.

Freefaller said:
Sounded really nice - people who saw it will concur.

It did indeed mate :)

It doesn't sound as nice standard, but it's still not too bad (http://youtube.com/watch?v=hqu7m8oipFI)

Last edited:
Soldato
I was seriously tempted by one of these and also the Ghia X which is effectively the same car but with all the toys. You may want to consider one with the full ST24 bodykit as they would be the best option.

Permabanned
Just in the process of getting rid of mine, fantastic car for the money, after a service mine was giving me 34mpg!

Things to look out for are :

1. Altenator, absolute pig of a job to do most garages wont touch them.
  2. Waterpump, make sure you get the metal impellar one fitted asap the plastic ones fail.
  3. Wishbones are rubbish so get em changed but use ford ones the cheapo ebay jobs are pap.
  4. Watch out for faulty headgaskets, easy way to tell is to flash a torch around the rear bank, if you see any oil, walk away headgasket is gone, and you cant tell via the usual mayo in cap.
  5. Powersteering pump pipes and the little oil cooler at the front can sometimes leak, relativily easy to repair tho.
  6. Finally the inlet manifold controller can go (imrc) which causes a loss of power and general sluggishness after 3500rpm, again a 50-60 repair

I think its a great car, i had a lot of fun in mine, its not that quick (0-60 is 7.8 or so) but it handles really well, the st24 is better than the rsap ghia x, as the suspension is lower and slightly harder, but not to the extent its bone jarring.

I dont really want to sell mine, but a company car is forcing my hand, plus its cluttering up the drive! one piece of advice tho, dont pay a lot for them as they aint worth a lot, r/s platers can be had for 1200, i wouldnt pay more than 2200-2500 on the x plater.

Associate
I've had mine since 04 (W 2000 ST24 silver) and its a great car, done 107k and still going strong had to fit an alternator and repair my IMRC though. As for fuel they can be thirsty all depending on what race mode you are in on the day :D. I tend to fnd i get 250 to 300 miles to a tank.

Like has been mentioned before get the water pump chnaged as soon as you can. The best mod i ever did was a full s/s sytem with cat removed well worth considering :)

Im paying £700 FC with NUD at 23 which i think is pretty decent remembering i have a few mods on it.

Man of Honour
wohoo said:
I think its a great car, i had a lot of fun in mine, its not that quick (0-60 is 7.8 or so) but it handles really well, the st24 is better than the rsap ghia x, as the suspension is lower and slightly harder, but not to the extent its bone jarring.

Afaik the only suspension difference is 20mm lower springs?

I dont really want to sell mine, but a company car is forcing my hand, plus its cluttering up the drive! one piece of advice tho, dont pay a lot for them as they aint worth a lot, r/s platers can be had for 1200, i wouldnt pay more than 2200-2500 on the x plater.

You said this last time, thats about right for a regular Mondeo but not for an ST, tend to hold their value much better, given average mileage you are looking at £2K+ for R/S plate and £3k+ for an X reg.

Back
Top Bottom