What is an X ray photon?

Associate
OP
It's just that I am stuck on an A level physics question which gives me the energy of an x ray photon and asks me to calculate the speed of it. I was thinking if an x ray was an electron I could use e=mc^2 I can't think of any other way to work out the speed without knowing its wavelength or frequency?

Associate
an x-ray photon would just just be a photon with a wavelength of what... 10^-9 - 10^-10

you can calculate the frequency of them using f=c/λ

not sure why you are being asked to work out the speed.. its a constant :o

then just use e=hf to find the energy

or just e=hc/λ

an x-ray is just a photon with a specific wavelength

just like radio waves are.. and visible light etc...

edit: convenient: http://www.lbl.gov/MicroWorlds/ALSTool/EMSpec/EMSpec2.html
check your answer against that (its in eV though, so don't forget to divide by 1.6x10^-19)

Last edited:
Soldato
You know E = hf = hc/(lambda) so you can work out the frequency.

The de Broglie wavelength is (lambda) = h / p

So, hc/E = h/p, i.e. p = E/c.

Although being a photon, it's speed is c. You sure its asking to work out speed?

Associate
Dave said:
You know E = hf = hc/(lambda) so you can work out the frequency.

The de Broglie wavelength is (lambda) = h / p

So, hc/E = h/p, i.e. p = E/c (and v = E/c^2 if I am relatively sober)

And since p = mc you can work it out.

Or use the relativistic relationship which links energy/rest energy/momentum. (can't remember)

it has no m, it's a photon

ah, ninja edit :p

Associate
under most circumstances, the speed will be 3x10^8. I can't see that being the question

perhaps its something to do with the photoelectric effect, difficult to tell from the OPs wording

Associate
As someone who took A level physics only a year ago, I can attest to the fact that they do have these little trick questions.

hence why I suggested it being one.

Permabanned
daz said:
X-rays are photons generated by firing electrons at metal.

Not quite. The method of creation has no bearing on the nature of the reulstant photon. X-Rays can also be created in inter-stellar collisions, for example, as measured by CHANDRA.

To anser the OP, an X-Ray photon is simply a high energy photon.

Permabanned
MrMatteh said:
under most circumstances, the speed will be 3x10^8. I can't see that being the question

perhaps its something to do with the photoelectric effect, difficult to tell from the OPs wording

It may be questioning what the recoil velocity is - an atom of mass m emits a photon with energy E, at what speed does the atom recoil....that kind of question.

Associate
Visage said:
It may be questioning what the recoil velocity is - an atom of mass m emits a photon with energy E, at what speed does the atom recoil....that kind of question.

yups

come on OP, tell us the whole question! :)

daz

daz

Soldato
Visage said:
Not quite. The method of creation has no bearing on the nature of the reulstant photon. X-Rays can also be created in inter-stellar collisions, for example, as measured by CHANDRA.

I know it has no bearing on the resultant photon. However, what we define as X-rays and gamma rays overlap, the only difference being the method of creation.

Back
Top Bottom