how long for Google spider?

Associate
wondering how long it takes from submission to actually being listed on Google?

on the server log googlebot vistited 21 days ago. it viewed 1 page then went away. Nothing since.

what's happening? I have my robots.txt and the site is well constructed.

miffed

Soldato
robc123 said:
With the correct keywords on the page you shouldnt need to submit it.
What do you recommend?

I tried submitting my site to google but when I click the submit button a page tries to open but it never completes so goodness knows if it's actually sent any data :confused:.

Associate
Mr Joshua said:
What do you recommend?

I tried submitting my site to google but when I click the submit button a page tries to open but it never completes so goodness knows if it's actually sent any data :confused:.

If you have certain words then your site will be picked up and ranked within google. Obviously higher profile sites will be above because of more occurences of higher volume traffic.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
If you want it submitted quicker, the only tip I can offer which seems pretty reliable is to go to a news site like Digg, DownloadSquad, etc, and submit a comment which will allow you to enter you URL. These high-ranked sites will be searched by google daily and upon encountering your URL will branch off to yours.

Soldato
Just submitting your site to Google will get you nigh on nowhere. If you wait a few months there's a slight possibility your site will get crawled and indexed, but that's about all.

If you want to get indexed quickly and get ranked well for half-decent search terms, your best bet is getting linked to from a number of existing, highly ranked websites. The Google spider crawls these sort of sites more often and if it sees a link to your site on there it will assume your site is reputable too :)

Man of Honour
Sometimes takes a while to get listed if you have a small site. I did a small site recently which had one link to it and although Google found it quickly, the site didn't display in the (very specific) search results for *ages*

Associate
OP
"Sometimes takes a while to get listed if you have a small site. I did a small site recently which had one link to it and although Google found it quickly, the site didn't display in the (very specific) search results for *ages*" by Bean

need some inbound links i think .... I have to find some

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Beansprout said:
I can put one on Twobeds if you want. It probably gets hit quite frequently by Googlebot.

thanks, it's a small site for a mate's business though. Had it on the net for almost 4 weeks and it isn't even listed on google,nor yahoo.

if you could put a link through then that'd be great ... but i won't be offended if it isn't appropriate.

Associate
OP
there must be a way to announce new sites, somewhere!

how the frigg do you get your site on the net?

there is no easy way. Google doesn't bother with you. ditto Yahoo.

you need to get a link from another place into your new site. And the more the better.

But to actually get on, either you pay tonnes of cash to go on a crappy list, or you pay massive amounts to advertise. As the sites with traffic now ask for cash to put a link on .. like £100. Google pay-per-click is about £2 a click, and then you have your advertisement. But that's dead expensive, as loads of people could come through, just nosing around, buy nothing and go away.

hmmm...

Man of Honour
blade007 said:
thanks, it's a small site for a mate's business though. Had it on the net for almost 4 weeks and it isn't even listed on google,nor yahoo.

if you could put a link through then that'd be great ... but i won't be offended if it isn't appropriate.
Send me an e-mail, I don't mind. I think you know my address if you think a bit :D

Edit: actually that doesn't work, my gmail address isn't [email protected]. It's [email protected] :(

Associate
OP
anotherF said:
put a link in your sig. You will get spidered several times a day. Where you appear in search results is a different story

yeah I thought about that. But probably someone would shop me for "advertising" even if it was a small text link.

good idea, though.

Associate
OP
anotherF said:
Look in everyone elses sigs a lot have links, what sort of site are you linking to?

it's an in-car entertainment business.

I had a look at people's sigs and most links are to personal sites.

I would love to put a little link in a sig on this forum but it may be construed as advertising by the OcUK viewers.

Back
Top Bottom