HELP, i cant install XP

Associate
all was fine till this morning when my pc started playing up

so i thought i'd do a full re-install to clear all the junk out i had

problem is i cant now install XP, when i select the partiton to install it to it says it isnt XP format (or something like that), not sure what format it is but i put another HD in (NTFC or whatever its called) but it wont let me do it on that either, same message as before

im currently using a 4gig (of which i can only see 2) to try and get help, so i thought i'd come to the number 1 place, HERE

ive deleted partition, created them, everything

PLEASE HELP

Soldato
Okay, going to start with the basics.

Your HDDs are being plugged in properly, right? Make sure to check the connection on the mobo too.

Have your tried another Windows disc? Yours may be corrupted so no matter how many HDDs you try you will have the same issue.

SiriusB

Associate
OP
hi, all connections are good, ive only got 1 copy of xp (not a copy but 1 copy if u know what i mean) havent even got win98 laying around to try

dont have a spare £70-odd notes to but another either :(

Associate
OP
when it asks where i want to install it says this

C:pARTITION 1 [UNKOWN]
UNPARTITIONED SPACE

so when i select C, i get this

to install windows xp on the partition you selected, setup must write some startup files on the following disc

unknown disc

however this disc does not contain a windows xp compatable partition :mad:

Soldato
Just had a thought... are you using SATA HDDs? If so have you installed the drivers for them? [Windows asks you to install them a few mins into the install by pressing F6].

SiriusB

Associate
OP
SiriusB said:
Just had a thought... are you using SATA HDDs? If so have you installed the drivers for them? [Windows asks you to install them a few mins into the install by pressing F6].

SiriusB

aint got a clue if theyre SATA or not m8 but have never installed any drivers b4

Associate
OP
yeah but when i delete/create them its still the same

"its not windows xp compatable"

ive been working on it for 8 hours now, doing the same old thing in the hope it decides to work :(

Associate
just a thought to follow on from the boot disks- it could just be that the master boot record tables on your hard drives are completely skewered.

what make hd's? try downloading some diagnostic tools from the manufacturer

Back
Top Bottom