Cheapo Runaround : Update

Soldato
Bit of an update.

If you didnt read the previous thread, got a Astra MK3 (1.4 SPI :D) runaround.

Bodywork is mint, so i've begun to tidy it up here & there...

Here's how it looked after i picked it up, i polished it up so unfortunatly no before pics of when it was pink!

At this stage i'm really feeling the 60 odd bhp that it pushes out :D

Anyway, i picked it up totally standard. Paint was faded but not flaked anywhere, there was no rot on it and only a small dent on the drivers front wing.

First step was to clean it up, it's had 2 T-Cuts (all done manually by hand) and numerous layers of Super Resin Polish. Needless to say it embarrases the paintwork on a lot younger car's.

Here's a picture of it last weekend when i polished it up...

beast.jpg

Ok, here's the dash. As you can see the stereo surroundings are mangled, so i will need a new centre console. In the same effort i'll be sorting the temp gauge out (doesnt work, brand new sensor ordered) and replacing the MFD, heater controls and clocks with red LED kit. Simple yet effective mod, makes the dash look a lot fresher.

Dash.jpg
:

Soldato
OP
Here is the car debadged and de-sidestriped, as you can see looks a whole lot better, jus the plates what let it down. Also need to find a single mudflap for the front passenger side, indicators desparatly need replacing.

Quarter.jpg

Rear2.jpg

Beast2.jpg

Plans are :

New Numberplates
Lowering (if i can find CHEAP spring)
Clear Indicators
GSi Rear lights
Backbox (again, CHEAP)

...then sell it for a profit, or price up a C20XE :confused:

Associate
That's very impressive; could I just ask how you managed to get the bumpers back to looking that tidy? Or have they just stood up well to the test of time?

Soldato
OP
It's not work thats costing me though, its just how much time im willing to give up for it.

The bumpers weren't that bad to be fair, but i gave them a rub over (twice now) with Auto Glym Bumper Care, the stuff is amazing.

Man of Honour
I think I would rather 'walkaround'.

The removal of the side strips looks silly as you are now left with indentations in the doors. Also thought you said this car was for your brother?

Soldato
OP
L0rdMike said:
Love how one pic as the plate blanked and one doesnt. :p

Yep, plate was blanks to show what a manky colour it is!

Fox, we were deciding between giving it to him, or me keeping it as a runaround. He now has a 1.1 Saxo that he got for a steal of a price, so im keeping the Astra.

I'm hoping to see a return on it anyway. It is in mint condition, ideal for a first car. Tidying bits ands bobs up and doing things on the cheap only makes it more rewarding. My old R5 i bought for £300 and sold for £1300 :D

I don't see what your challenge is with it Fox. It cost £200, it gets me the 18miles to work and back each day and occasionally out when i need to go elsewhere. my Insurance has halved and im gettign 100miles more to a talk of fuel.

Cost of running a car has been more than halved.

Soldato
Mmm, looks good apart from the fact that I would put the strips back on down the side. It just looks like there is somethking missing without them.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Brum Man said:
I think that's where the term "cheapo runaround" comes in ;)

Yeah, but you can have a "cheapo runaround" without subjecting yourself to having to drive something like that on the odd occasion where you actually want to enjoy the drive.

But that's beside the point, since Phil W seems happy with it :)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
I guess thats fine if all you ever want from a car is simply transport from A to B I suppose.

Not everyone wants a more luxurious ride such as a mondeo dude. Anything sub £500 as long as it runs for a year and preferably comes with a long T&T is acceptable as a run about or even chuckable car after a year. .

The MKIII is a good car for the money specially at the price this car was. My bro sold his Mk2 with 100k on the clock for that last week.

Below 2k most #good# cars will have reached the end of their useful life and be a bit of a gamble at purchase, whether it will be a money pit of or a sound runner for a while. Below 1k and the more basic the car the better it is specially if something goes wrong the cheaper it is to fix making the MKIII astra an ideal candidate.

Soldato
OP
It's not a case of wanting to, i have no other choice.

I have started a new job, and although it is comission based and i have started to sell well, its going to take a while for that to come into effect.

I want to pay my parents (mum mainley) what i owe, then get my holidays out of the way and save for something nicer.

Id rather be driving this than a 1.1 Fiesta

Soldato
Looks a very clean car, and while not exactly something I'd drive, I certainly wouldn't complain. Especially in that condition.

Two questions though...

What happened to the Saxo? cymatty told me you stacked it? :eek:

And what happened to your brothers Corsa? I see it on the driveway there with no bumper :confused:

Back
Top Bottom