A Simple Mod

Caporegime
I'm getting a Lian Li 7B-PLUS so wish to spray the bezel of my slot loading Pioneer DVD-105 black to match, is it as simple as getting some black spray paint and spraying it or does it need to be a certain type?

Associate
You can just cut a slot in a full bezel like this one

2921.jpg

Associate
PiKe said:
I'm getting a Lian Li 7B-PLUS so wish to spray the bezel of my slot loading Pioneer DVD-105 black to match, is it as simple as getting some black spray paint and spraying it or does it need to be a certain type?

Recently done two DVD-RW's to match my CM stacker, got the paint (satin black) from Halfords (think i can say that, not a competitor) took off the bezels and sprayed them.
Make sure you give them a good clean first and use a scotchbright (or a very fine kitchen scourer) to give the surface a key for the paint to stick (not too rough or it will look awful)
Dont try to put too much on in one go, use more light coats than fewer heavy ones that way you wont get runs/sags.
Good luck

Soldato
If the bezels are made of aluminum then the paint will flake off, you need to use etching primer first. But to spray the plastic fascia of the drive you can get some dye that does a good job, I'm thinking of getting some to do a monitor. Or the paint from Halfords will also do a good job on the plastic, Ive used tons of this stuff and its great.

Mark

Associate
I recently sprayed my mouse, CD bezel and Floopy drive bezel black and i stole my nephews can of black primer that they use for painting models. It is only primer and shouldnt be used as paint but it looks great (nice matt black finish). Used some matt spray on varnish and they all look pretty proffession.

As it was primer as well i didnt have to play around sanding any thing down, just gave all the parts a good cleaning with Alochol (trusty old tape head cleaner) let them dry and sprayed away, did 3 coats of paint and 4 coats of varnish. Trick is to do a very light coat, let it COMPLETELY dry and do another one and just gradually build it up.

Like i said the paint and varnish i used was games workshop stuff, only used it because it was to hand but apprently you can get different varnish types (gloss, matt and extra tough) and different colours of primer. The main thing is they are all plastic safe to so you dont have to worry about your plastic bits melting as you paint them.

If i was doing a larger surface i would have done a lot more prep work but for the little bits i did this took maybe 2 hours (including drying time) and turned out much better then i expected.

Back
Top Bottom