Youth Team contracts - Football icon sky one

Associate
Not sure if anyone has been watching this on sky one, but they recently had an update episode were the lad who won managed to gain a contarct for a further year, quite interesting to see what the other lads are doing too.

Anyone know how much they get paid compared to first team players?

daz

daz

Soldato
Apprenticeship contracts are in the region of a couple a hundred a week... obviously with special exceptions with players like Walcott.

Soldato
daz said:
Apprenticeship contracts are in the region of a couple a hundred a week... obviously with special exceptions with players like Walcott.

You can't sign a professional contract until you are 17 years old.

Until his 17th birthday, Walcoot was on a YTS scheme, meaning he was on about £100 a week. That is what he was being paid at Southampton.

Once they hit 17, they can be paid whatever you want.

Thats the way I always thought the system to work..

daz

daz

Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy said:
You can't sign a professional contract until you are 17 years old.

True.

Even 17 year olds generally aren't on anything like what you might imagine footballers might earn though. Walcott was a special exception (as was Rooney and probably Owen too...) - when he (they) turned 17 they must have moved onto pretty reasonable contracts. Whereas most young players (17-19) will be given a professional contract, but not a particularly lucrative one.

Associate
Yea apparently the YTS caps money at around 100 a week (think that is the same for all YTS work.

Though i`ve heard that sometimes clubs will pay for peoples families to move in to their catchment areas so i`m sure there are ways to tempt the top stars with other incentives.

Caporegime
I believe it's £70-£120 a week for the majority.

I watched this and can't help but think Dee has the best chance... his Agent got him trials with Lazio and Inter Milan.

Soldato
Replicant said:
Not sure if anyone has been watching this on sky one, but they recently had an update episode were the lad who won managed to gain a contarct for a further year, quite interesting to see what the other lads are doing too.

Anyone know how much they get paid compared to first team players?
i dont know what the other lads are doing but the lad who won it use to go to my school (he was the year above me), he still comes in from time to time to talk to his mates.how much does he get paid now? 2 weeks ago i saw him driving a old VW Golf(N reg).all i know is apparantly he got 5k as a signing on bonus.

Soldato
I used to go school with someone who was on YTS at stockport, (until carlton palmer let him go) he was on about 120pw. You don't start making the real money until you sign pro and start to at least push for a reserve team place

Back
Top Bottom