Whats the Rover 3.5 carbed V8 like?

Soldato
Seen an interesting track car come up which has got a Rover 3.5 V8 engine in it. Apparently it is carbed.

Anyone ever worked on one of these? What kind of power do they tend to produce? Are they particularly reliable?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
carbed could either be twin SU's or Holley / Edelbrock
Nice reliable motor if looked after, though they do have a tendancy to knock out cam lobes, power wise depends on the engine spec and what its come out of.

Associate
The V8 originally had carbs although due to it being a popular engine for a lot of makes, many were tuned using injection systems. The engine itself is excellent but I would see it running at normal temperature before saying it's ok. A low oil pressure at normal temps indicate big end bearing shells worn. Not a big job to change if the engine is accesible but if the crank is worn you may find it expensive to have rectified ie: reground or replacement crank needed.
But the sound .... :D

Soldato
OP
Its got an Edelbrock/Weber 500 carb in it - that good at all?

Still trying to find out the origin of the engine at the moment. Pretty sure they're alloy so should be quite a light block?

Is the same engine that Buick used?

Soldato
I remember there was a Westfield, I think it was called the SEight 330 or summut!... had a Carbed (4 twin choke Webbers) 3.9Ltr V8 producing 330bhp!...

Now in a car that weighs little more than a Box of cornflakes thats a bit frightening! :eek:

I think it was (at the time) the fastest accelerating car in the world (Guinness book of records)... 0 - 60 in 3.6 secs (or summut like that!)

I remember reading about it in Top Gear Magazine, when they road tested it!... The one thing that sticks in my mind was the guy said he was sitting 'Ticking over' in a gravel car park and the side down facing exhausts were making craters in the carpark surface!... :D

Last edited:
Associate
it's not the same engine as used by Buick, but was originally designed by Buick but they abandoned it and Rover took it over

if it all in good condition should be a very sound motor, Edelbrok/Webber 500 carb will be better than twin SU's in my opinion

Soldato
OP
Its going in a 1990 Mazda RX7 shell, probably be similar output to the standard engine in that - 200 ish hp?

My only worry is that it's going to be very front heavy - the rotary engine is very light.

Permabanned
The Westfield SEight is a ****ing EVIL car.

Been in one on four times....

First time, I realised it spits neat petrol at you from the exhausts.

Second, third and fourth times, it shot flames and set fire to itself (via the petrol that had been pouring out of the exhausts).

Overfuelled V8 + rollerskate + overiding sense of evilness = Westfield SEight.

*n

Soldato
ramirez said:
Its going in a 1990 Mazda RX7 shell, probably be similar output to the standard engine in that - 200 ish hp?

My only worry is that it's going to be very front heavy - the rotary engine is very light.

Hmmm, it looks like the 1982-86: Rover SD1 Vitesse version puts out 190hp. I'm not sure what the weber will do, but I'd guess at around 170-200ish, depending on any other mods

I can't find anything about the mazda rotary but it looks to be around the 300lb mark, maybe a bit more, so there shouldn't be too much difference between that and the rover, but the only real way to know is to get them weighed :)

Soldato
penski said:
The Westfield SEight is a ****ing EVIL car.

Been in one on four times....

First time, I realised it spits neat petrol at you from the exhausts.

Second, third and fourth times, it shot flames and set fire to itself (via the petrol that had been pouring out of the exhausts).

Overfuelled V8 + rollerskate + overiding sense of evilness = Westfield SEight.

*n

Its like Clarkson driving that Swedish Koenigsegg (what ever it was called)... The more it scared the poo out of him... the more fun he was having!!! :D

Soldato
OP
thanks for the help chaps :) Much appreciated. I imagine it's going to get similar fuel economy to the rotary, probably 15ish mpg. Fingers crossed it'll sound good too!

:D

Soldato
Nah, if it's set up right you should be seeing upwards of 20mpg :) My SU'd 3.5 would do 26 on a good day, when new the 3.5 EFI could get up to 35 on a roll on the motorway :)

Get a Carter AFB on it, decent spacer, nice tubular headers, see you dead right and be a little better on juice :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom