What happened to Flashpoint 2?

Associate
You want to watch out for Armed Assualt . It's the spiritual successor to Flashpoint created by the developers behind the original Flashpoint.

Codemasters now own the rights to the Operation Flashpoint name but not the game engine so anything that calls itself Flashpoint 2 isn't likely to provide the same impressive gameplay.

It's a bit like the whole Championship Manager/Football Manager fiasco...

Permabanned
Cybergangster said:
Codemasters now own the rights to the Operation Flashpoint name but not the game engine so anything that calls itself Flashpoint 2 isn't likely to provide the same impressive gameplay.

Why would that be? The engine was outdated when it was released. Any future game would surely be based on a brand new engine anyway - anything based on the old engine would be asking for disaster.

Soldato
snow patrol said:
i had a look at some of the Armed assault vids and quite frankly it looks a bit pap :(

I think you have to look at Flashpoint from the gameplay side of things, can't wait to be running around huge maps with loads of things going on at once and loads of weapons and vehicles.

Soldato
horrgakx said:
I love BF2, I don't get ANY problems with it.

Dave

When it worked I liked it but with all the patches and things being released at least one more thing has been broken so it got to the point with me where I couldn't even load a map and if it did I'd enter the game and then be disconnected, got so frustrated with it after the amount of reinstalls and gfx driver updates etc.

Soldato
Armed Assault is the spiritual sequal.
Codies own the name Flashpoint, so when you see a Flashpoint from them it wont be the same.

Armed Assault`s engine is based of VBS1 (Virtual Battlefield Systems 1), which is in turn based apon OFP`s engine.

ArmA is due Q3 2006, but afaik they still dont have a publisher.

Cant wait myself.
A single island which is bigger than the three islands of the orig OFP put together!
CTI will be equally awsome.

EDIT: Oh and as for OFP2 (now known as Game 2 I think) its apparently due in 2007.

Soldato
Quantic said:
Why would that be? The engine was outdated when it was released. Any future game would surely be based on a brand new engine anyway - anything based on the old engine would be asking for disaster.

Why would that be the case? Its still base don the old engines just improved.. Like Unreal 3 engine is based on the unreal 1 engine.. but vastly improved.

Soldato
Alpha178 said:
Why would that be the case? Its still base don the old engines just improved.. Like Unreal 3 engine is based on the unreal 1 engine.. but vastly improved.

Unreal engine 3 isnt unreal engine 1 though is it. If a game came out today on unreal engine 1, it probably wouldnt go down too well.

Soldato
Yeah, considering the original Op Flash never looked cutting edge, I don't see why people are slating the (psuedo-)sequel for poor graphics.

It's not about ray guns and shader effects, it's about driving through a village, getting to your army base, boarding a chopper, flying across an island (not just a pidgey city here, BF2 fans, a full-on island, with villages, woods, hills and whatnot), dropping down, commandeering a tank squadron, and rolling into a firefight to save the day for your buddies. :cool:

No game can match OFP for what it does, and that's not graphics.

Soldato
I can only hope those who experienced it the first time around try it. None of that 'kill kill kill' stuff. I remember crawling for ages through a forest to sniper one guy. :D

Associate
Roduga said:
I can only hope those who experienced it the first time around try it. None of that 'kill kill kill' stuff. I remember crawling for ages through a forest to sniper one guy. :D

Oh yes, those were the days, when war was war and bunny hoppers were shot.

Edit: note: u cant acctually jump in OFP.

Associate
Weebull said:
Yeah, considering the original Op Flash never looked cutting edge, I don't see why people are slating the (psuedo-)sequel for poor graphics.

It's not about ray guns and shader effects, it's about driving through a village, getting to your army base, boarding a chopper, flying across an island (not just a pidgey city here, BF2 fans, a full-on island, with villages, woods, hills and whatnot), dropping down, commandeering a tank squadron, and rolling into a firefight to save the day for your buddies. :cool:

No game can match OFP for what it does, and that's not graphics.

yeeee haaa a man after me own heart,,,, the joy of stealing an aircraft from the noses of those ruskies and straffing them, sheer joy.
now where is Ronin...he's clever with Op flash gossip?

Soldato
So is the new one going to be a modern RO:O then?

I used to love a bit of self mapping huge hills with bumps then attempting to drive buses down them :p

Back
Top Bottom