Budget earphones - £20

Associate
Any suggestions?

Don't listen to my mp3 player that much so I can't really justify spending much more than £20. Just want something a little better than the standard Sony ones, gone through 2 pairs of them in the last 6 months!

I mainly listen to HipHop/Drum & Bass if that makes a difference although I don't think it will on such a small budget.

Cheers.

Soldato
Creative EP-630 Earphones - Retail (SP-075-CL) Anyone have these, look like a good price. I need some for my ipod and walk to work with them so dont want an expensive pair that might get wet.

Any idea?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
For ear-phones, the best pair I've found cost me around £20 from a competitor. They're made by Sony. The left is considerabley much shorter than the right, which goes round the back of your neck.

Associate
KSC-75, if they don't have to be in-ear. Long ago, I used to buy Sony earphones, but there is no going back since I tried the Porta Pro (similar to the KSC-75).
Plus, the Koss has a lifetime warranty, although unlike the Sony's I've not broken either so far. The bass slam is great, although if you are a basshead, you may want to look at the SportaPro, the most bassy of those Koss.
That said, while I've not tried the Koss Plug, they have a pretty poor reputation.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i have a pair of sony fontopias which are ok, and a pair of creative ep 630's they are really good!! for there price, ive never had any koss earphones so dont know what the sound is like but the prices are pretty good

Soldato
bloodline76 said:
So the 630's sound like a good buy then. Yes?

I am just concerned about the reported sound interference problem with walking.

Stuff like Sony EX71, Creative EP630 and the identical Sennheiser CX300 all suffer from the 'noise when walking' problem. You can hear your footfalls amplified through the headphones and every time the wire moves (which happens all the time when walking) you can hear that too. It ruins the sound. I would only use the above phones for sat on a noisy bus/plane/train.

KSC-75s are superb for out walking, you really do forget you're wearing them. They're not discreet though. MX500 are another option but they're a bit quiet and lacking bass, and don't sound as good as EP630/CX300/KSC75.

Man of Honour
ive never had any trouble with walking noise, when ya first put them in it sounds a bit strange when there isolating but after youve listened to some music for a bit you dont notice anythin well i dont

Soldato
Well maybe the EP630 are slightly different, but with the CX300 there is a loud dull rumble noise accompanying me at all times. Sure not everyone will be as bothered by it as me, but it is there nevertheless. Maybe if you're used to having your music loud you wouldn't notice it as much.

You can also hear your breathing and heartbeat if you use them indoors in a quiet room.

To be honest though the sound quality of the KSC-75s is just way better than CX300/EP630/EX71/MX500 anyway, even without taking into account the problems mentioned above. I wish I'd bought them first and saved myself the £75 I wasted on CX300, EX71 and MX500.

Soldato
bloodline76 said:
Creative EP-630 Earphones - Retail (SP-075-CL) Anyone have these, look like a good price. I need some for my ipod and walk to work with them so dont want an expensive pair that might get wet.

Any idea?
Avoid tbh. I can backup what fish99 says. It's very distracting. You can hear yourself clearing your throat etc over the music. I now use my 630's for listening to music/films on my laptop as I'm stationary when doing that.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7064714&postcount=5

Man of Honour
i agree with bodily noises, you can hear i get that with all my sound isolating ear phones, when i have my music quite or not on with the earphones in you hear every noise your body makes good for checking ya pulse :)

Back
Top Bottom