Password Manager

Associate
Hi Guys (& Gals)

Just a quick post to ask everyone how seriously they take computer security.

Personally I have a similar password I have kept for many years for most of my accounts with a slight variation or twist on each.

I have contemplated using algorithms for my passwords, (every other letter of a website as the password, or something similar) however I worry that I would easily forget them especially if the algorthm changed!

In which case I would require some sort of Password Manager but haven't really looked into any. Do any of you use such a piece of software, and if so can you recommend it and give details of it's benefits?

Any discussion on the topic would interest me as I'm beginning to think I should take this issue a little more seriously.

As they say, a password should be like your toothbrush - changed regularly and not shared with friends or strangers!

Associate
I personally make up passwords using a system.

Take a phrase, say "I love gorgeous girls please be mine one day"

Every word that could be substituted for a number is : one = 1
Every word that could be types as one char (in l33t speak) is put into a capital : be = B
Then use the first letter for every word.

So the password would be : IlggpBm1d

Makes it very easy to remember passwords as you can just say the little rhym to yourself. Could easly change the system and take the 2nd letter etc etc

Associate
I'm using FlexWallet on the PC and iPAQ. I have over 500 cards within the wallet. This may seem like a lot but it covers :

web sites - url, username, passwords
internet providers - logon, dns etc.
personal information - nhs, ni, medical
vehicles - chassis numbers, dates of purchase etc.
item purchases - date of purchase, cost, warranty
financial - sort codes, account numbers, contact info

Once opened the wallet has hotlinks sites and easily enables cut and paste. The wallet is encrypted and needs just one password for entry (so don't forget it or give it away). Every password for each card is unique - it has a password generator built in.

I have some minor niggles with the product but would be pretty lost without it or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom