• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2nd hand cpu - doesnt overclock like as guy said, what todo?

Soldato
Hi, I recently bought a 2nd hand cpu off here (members market), it was a opty144 that he said managed 2.7ghz on 1.5V.
Well I tried it and it doesnt manage 2.7ghz without errors after 1 minute on prime95, but it does manager 2.6ghz on 1.6V.
Now heres the problem really, I'm not too bothered by the 100 less clock and 0.1V higher as I only paid £70 for the cpu anyways, I'm wondering was the guy lieing to me about his clocks or do cpu's manage different clocks under different systems? Because no way can this cpu manage 2.7 on 1.5V lol.

Mul

Mul

Associate
Some CPU's perform better with different memory dividers and in different motherboards. Did he state what cooling he was using? If he was using superior cooling, chances are that'll be why he managed higher clocks at lower voltages.

Did he state what motherboard he used?

What motherboard do you have? Maybe worth trying a different BIOS.
Hmmm 2.6Ghz 1.6V is quite poor for an Opteron. Any chance you could shed any light on the stepping on the CPU? (e.g. CABxE 0xxx xxxx)

Mul

Soldato
OP
I'm using a MSI K8N Neo4 Plat.
The cpu I bought off you Mul you claimed it did 2.6ghz on 1.55V? The 3200 venice I bought off you, well thats the settings I ran with it and it worked so I dont know if its down to my motherboard.

Mul

Mul

Associate
Correct, thats exactly as stated. The 3200+ was originally on a Neo 2 Platinum and Corsair Value PC3200.

What cooling are you using with the Opty? Any Idle/Load temps? Again, do you remember what stepping the Opteron was?

Mul

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I'm using an arctic freezer 64 pro, it tends to idle at 7c more than system temp at idle and 14c more then system temp at idle, so max is around 38C at idle and 45C at load.

The cpu is definetly one of those cabney or whatever ones, I suppose I could find out later by taking the cooler off.

Last edited:

Mul

Mul

Associate
hmmm ok. You mention it falls over in Prime at 2.7Ghz? The Opteron has a Multiplier of 9, meaning your board must be running at a HTT of 300? Can I confirm the HTT Multi is set to 3?

Additionally, it maybe worth trying to clock the cpu with 300HTT and a multiplier of 8 then running prime. Although CPU speed is a mear 2.4Ghz, you can then diagnose whether your motherboard has issues with a HTT of 300 or not. My DFI nF4 Ultra D sometimes falls over with HTT's over 300 without an increase in chipset voltage.

edit: CABNE's generally clock well. That makes things more puzzling :confused:

Mul

Mul

Mul

Associate
ah CABGE. They aren't so great then.

Yes, please run 300*8. You may just find your motherboard doesn't like high HTT's

Mul

Associate
He may not have been lieing, there are no guarentees that any given component will clock the same way in 2 different pc's. Maybe his system overvolts so it may have been nearer 1.7v maybe yours undervolts a tad. Like someone else mentioned maybe your system doesn't like 300fsb, have you tried increasing other voltages ie chipset??

There are so many variables that could cause the problems but as it is pretty close to advertised i would tend to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to leave the guy positive either way in his trust as 2.6ghz is preety good I reckon, but its just the principle of the thing but if it does vary system to system I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he seems like a top bloke I wont mention it to him.

Mul, if it runs on prime at 300X8 - then its down to the cpu right?

Mul

Mul

Associate
yes, chances are it's CPU if it primes flawlessly 300*8. As said, overclocks vary from system to system. Certainly a good chip none the less at 2.6Ghz and it'll have an edge over your 3200+ because of the extra cache. Think you can safely say the chap selling the CPU wasn't lieing. Drop him some positive feedback :)

Mul

Soldato
Yeah overclocking vary greatly. Even the slightest setting can make the difference between a perfectly stable/unstable system. If he had provided screenshots of the overclock with stability programs it should be fairly trusted, some boards do struggle with high HTT as stated, if he used a DFI I think some over-volt.

Soldato
OP
Yeah it seems to be working under prime at 300X8 even though its been about 10 mins lol, but before it wasnt even 1.
Guess i'll leave the guy positive, he seems to be having some personal problems right about now do I dont think he needs the hassle of a non issue, cheers lads.

Permabanned
Vegeta said:
I'm going to leave the guy positive either way in his trust as 2.6ghz is preety good I reckon, but its just the principle of the thing but if it does vary system to system I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he seems like a top bloke I wont mention it to him.

Mul, if it runs on prime at 300X8 - then its down to the cpu right?
Imagine if hes reading this ! :o

Back
Top Bottom