What do you use to control your HTPC - is the Microsoft remote worth getting?

Soldato
Hi,

upgrading my HTPC box as a previous thread a few days ago. Was wondering should I also purchase the MCE remote and then eventually the MCE wireless keyboard.

At the moment i have normal standard wired mouse and keyboard just sat next to the tv. And have an ATI remote which does kinda do the job, and also has mouse control so can do things outside of MCE.

Also use it to download so have VNC installed and access it via my main computer.

What about you guys ?

Man of Honour
not seen the MCE remote, but the ATI one (which i have too) does a good job i find.....i might end up getting another one for my HTPC when it#s set up :)

Soldato
Baddass said:
not seen the MCE remote, but the ATI one (which i have too) does a good job i find.....i might end up getting another one for my HTPC when it#s set up :)

The MCE remote is obviously best with MCE ;) It really does make things so much easier, and it's not that expensive really.

Associate
I've got a self build mce pc and I got the remote off ebay for about £25 a year ago ish, absolute godsend, you can't use media centre properly without it.

Associate
I use the MCE remote with MCE2005 but I think something like the logitech harmony can be rigged to work with media center IF, you would prefer a different style remote. Going for about £40 on ebay at the moment for the one with the nice blue display. ;)

Associate
Snow-Munki said:
but the mouse is utter rubbish right ?
Very shoddy piece of design it's either fast or to slow for moving the cursor. lucky i have the gyration mouse for this.

Last edited:
Soldato
search the bay for HP media centre remote controls.

got mine for 99p off there. its fantastic, works with the 360 too. great layout, loads of usefull shortcut buttons.

Soldato
Matt said:
The MCE remote is obviously best with MCE ;) It really does make things so much easier, and it's not that expensive really.

The MCE remote also works fine with itunes, theatretek and many other apps folks. Some functions may be limited but the basic controls all seem to work a treat

I dont even bother with MCE now using my favourite apps instead with combination of wireless keys/mouse and remote.

Back
Top Bottom