Acer or Dell Laptop

Soldato
As a previous thread i started im look to get rid of my gaming pc because i only play games on my Xbox 360 nowadays and intend replacing it with a laptop to use for downloading, browsing the web, email and playing football management sims such as football manager 2006.

I've whittled my choices down to the following laptops, which do people think offers better value for money etc??

Dell Inspiron 1300
Intel Celeron M Processor 380 (1.60 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB)
768mb Ram
40GB (5.400rpm) Hard Drive
15.4inch WXGA (1280x800) LCD Panel
8X DVD+/-RW with Software
6 Cell 56Whr Primary Battery
Dell™ Wireless 1370 802.11b/g Mini PCI Card

£498.87 inc vat

Acer Aspire 3004WLMi
AMD Sempron 3100+ - As powerful as P4 2.8GHz, 15% faster than 3000+
512MB DDR SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive
DVD Dual Layer Drive
15.4" WXGA Widescreen TFT Screen
Integrated wireless 802.11b/g
3 USB 2.0 Sockets
1.5-hour Battery Life
Weight 2.8kg

£479.95 inc vat

Associate
Stelly said:
I have an acer they are brill... makes sure that you get acer advantage as its a bargain

I've had 2 Acers (i'm writing this one one)

They're shockingly badly built out of cheap rubbish componenets. When this one arrived the wireless lan aerial wasnt even attached propperly. The motherboard in the previous one completly died.

I woundnt recomment them to anyone.

Suspended
I've heard of them. Can't comment on quality/service.
They're slightly expensive to some other makes, but have a couple of decent models (DTR and 17") but have a longer gurantee than most. However it's a third party, which is good and bad (if Rock go bust still have warranty, but the repair company could be rubbish) AW have rubbish customer service and way overpriced.

Soldato
The_One said:
What do people think of Rock Direct laptops?

fantastic!

got rock Xtreme CT laptop, mind you, paid £1,600 for it, ouch! but deffo the best laptop company ever i've across.

i'm IT Engineer working for IT company, i've dealing with Acer many times, they're ******, we had to sent same laptop back to them 3 times, they couldnt fixed the problem, at the end they replaced the mainboard, took nearly 3 months! wtf!! one of my mate got Acer Travelmate 1600 (i think), his dvd rom drive failed, took Acer 2 months to fix it. is that good? no.....one of the client lost his recovery discs for his acer laptop, he had to pay £50 and waited for them for 1 month. is that good? no......

there is a forum in rock website, fantastic when u got problem, director of Rock will be very happy to help you. u leave the serial number of Rock laptop in your forum profile so whenever u got problem, they look up the serial number in your profile and help you out very quickly!

best thing with Rock, whenever u want to upgrade your laptop, ie, ram, hard drive, they take your old RAM as part exchange. know any laptop companies do this? no.....i've seen people on Rock forum got their RAM, hard drive, dvd-rw drive failed (happens to any laptop) but Rock quickly send new parts to them via post. know any laptop companies do this? no.....

any question, just ask :)

Soldato
I've had several Acer Laptops now ... all excellent. They work now like the day they came.

Tbh the build quality is fine, for people saying its rubbish ... what do you expect when you have a laptop with a decent spec for so little? It's hardly going to be built like a ToughBook is it?! Can't comment about the customer service though, those comments are probably quite fair.

@ OP. Out of those two specs, I would definitely go for the Acer.

Associate
I personally would go for dell, Better support, Better quality and its a pentium M so better battery life and performance, I see many notebooks everyday and in my experiance dells are better.

On a seperate note did i hear the other day that Dell have bought out alienware?

Back
Top Bottom