HDCP 20/21" widescreen

Soldato
I would like a 20/21" widescreen moniter With HDCP , with in the 300to 400 mark , not sure want there is out there as far as i know there no UK moniters that fit my needs as mentioned above and from what i can tell the new Dell 2007WFP dos'nt have HDCP at all so that counts that one out , so what is there that 20" and HDCP that is out or coming out and the eta and cost as well , primary use is gaming , but close 2nd is Video playing and 3dmax/bryce/ProE work.

ty for help

Associate
I'm in the exactly the same boat as you. Unfortunatley to my knowledge there are not any 20" monitors with HDCP support at the moment and i can not find any information about any coming out soon.

I thought the dell 2007wfp was going to have HDCP. Can anyone definitely confirm that it will not? I've delayed buying a monitor because i thought that it would have it. I'll get a VX2025 now if it doesn't!

Thanks

Associate
Guys,

Why are you so desperate to have the HDCP implementation ?

I don't want to disappoint you, but I really doubt that we will see the HDCP implementation in the LCD monitors, especially at that panel size and it may happen that you may wait for a really really long time. Not to mention that HDCP development is still in alpha/beta phase and who knows how everything will end. Simply, I don't see the LCD monitors section as serious contender for HDMI or HDCP implementation. I think that HDCP burden will fall at the end on the content player, in other words your video card, and monitor will still stay just "display device" which in my point is his "natural" purpose. Monitor shouldn't bother with anything like that.

Personally, I don't care about the HDCP and I doubt that I ever will (because of my personal issues with this technology) ;)

Associate
I hear what your saying and i hope that your right. Its just from my understanding, the monitor has to support HDCP in order to play blu ray or HD-DVD. I plan on getting an xbox 360 possibly with the HD-DVD add on so I would like the option to be able to use it.

To be honest if the dell 2007wfp wasn't on the horizon i would not even care and would be more than happy getting another monitor. I just don't want to get a monitor and then this come out at a reasonable price.

Associate
Ah you know what, I'm going to get the Viewsonic. I can't be bothered to wait. Also with all the issues of banding and such with the dell 2007 i don't want to risk it.

Associate
hdl96 said:
Ah you know what, I'm going to get the Viewsonic. I can't be bothered to wait. Also with all the issues of banding and such with the dell 2007 i don't want to risk it.

yeh the 2007 does seem cursed. I was pondering this for a while but i think im just gonna put more hours in at work and get a 2407

Soldato
igors said:
Guys,

Why are you so desperate to have the HDCP implementation ?

I don't want to disappoint you, but I really doubt that we will see the HDCP implementation in the LCD monitors, especially at that panel size and it may happen that you may wait for a really really long time. Not to mention that HDCP development is still in alpha/beta phase and who knows how everything will end. Simply, I don't see the LCD monitors section as serious contender for HDMI or HDCP implementation. I think that HDCP burden will fall at the end on the content player, in other words your video card, and monitor will still stay just "display device" which in my point is his "natural" purpose. Monitor shouldn't bother with anything like that.

Personally, I don't care about the HDCP and I doubt that I ever will (because of my personal issues with this technology) ;)
Microsoft Vista supporting HDCP graphics cards and the fact that LCD HDCP monitors are already available in Japan/USA tend to take the edge off your otherwise well-worded post.

Associate
NathanE said:
Microsoft Vista supporting HDCP graphics cards and the fact that LCD HDCP monitors are already available in Japan/USA tend to take the edge off your otherwise well-worded post.

lol that post was a thing of beauty mate, well said.

Im going for the 2407 in a few weeks because i dont fancy trying to sell a 2405 when everyones watching hd-dvd's on vista

If you look in the cd-roms section on ocuk you'll notice theyre selling a blu-ray drive already

Associate
NathanE said:
:rolleyes:

Don't get me start on that Vista->HDCP conspiracy plot, as in that case this thread will never die :p

Anyhow, yes, I guess that at the end of the day personal choice is something that matters. It's only sad to see that people are hunting the HDCP encryption logic in the monitor devices and on the contrary their attention is drifted away from the other monitor aspects and those aspects are usually something that is defining the monitor characteristics and quality.

When we consider the Blue Ray, Sony has publicly stated that their Blu-ray movies will not include the downsample flag. On the other hand, HD DVD is already available (titles also) and I heard that some people played the HD DVD titles via newly released non-PC (and excellent) Toshiba HD-A1 player by using the standard LCD monitor 1080p resolution. No problems. Maybe even better OS & PC free option is that instead of buying some noisy over-priced PC player and who knows what PC hardware beside, you simply opt for the nice external purpose build blue ray or HD DVD player or even HD (network) media streaming device (like KISS DP-600) and connected them and your PC DVI out to one nice 2 port DVI switch, connected to monitor. Of course, this is maybe option for the people who don't have their normal HD TV sets, additionally to LCD monitors. At the end, all fuss is just because of the movies playback in HD format and it's really questionable if all the PC troubles are really worth it and if LCD monitors are generally good candidates for such fun.Not to mention that there is 100% probability that you will have "intercepting" devices in between who will take care of the HDCP part. Hollywood is not so interested to introduce the HDCP in the PC sector, as there is a greater risk of hacking, but on the other hand Microsoft believes in the clear role of the multimedia in a PC. All in all, mess.

Also, don't forget that encryption chip logic is one thing (let's say just foundation) and on the top of that you have to have problem/bug free control logic, implemented in the device firmware. Now, there is no monitor in existence (and hardly we will see one in near future) who is capable of firmware updates. On the other hand, it's much easier that you firmware update the players or just update the video card drivers. Maybe this is another reason why monitor implementation is problematic and possible candidate for the exclusion from the HDCP loop. At the end, I'm not aware of any LCD monitor (even the latest LCD TVs) *honest* HDCP complaint spec unless we are talking about few attempts, purely based on marketing/selling gimmick and without any particular technical proof, support or concept. No wonder that people are confused with the complete situation and they don't trust anyone anymore.

Anyhow, I have my personal instinct about the HDCP. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. It's not relevant now, but I hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will remember my words when the time is right :D

Back
Top Bottom