Upgrade? Amd > Intel

Associate
Hey all,

I've been considering selling my current amd setup to get a dual core intel one. I plan to get a cheapish motherboard and the 2.66ghz cpu and some mushkin ddr2 ram. Then when conroe comes out (maybe) i can just sell off the cpu and motherboard and update it accordingly. I'll be getting a cooler for it too, is the conroe going to be 775?

I'm currently running..
Amd opteron 144 @ 2.5ghz
Abit an8 ultra
2 x 1gb samsung ram (240mhz 2.5-3-3-7)
Akasa evo 33 cooler

and getting...
Intel Pentium 4 805 Dual Core
Gigabyte 8I945P-G
2GB MUSHKIN PC2-5300 DDR2 667 Memory RAM
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro

After selling my amd kit i'd probably have to put £20-40 towards going to intel.

I also just want to try something new!

Do you think i should bother? Or just leave it as it is till conroe and am2 come out?

thx

Man of Honour
I personally wouldn't bother, you still have a very good PC there and I doubt you'd see anything much in the way of benefits by making the change. However if you do I'd suggest getting the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler as the Freezer 64 won't fit :)

Associate
I agree with semi, not a worthwhile upgrade. If you DO want to upgrade to dual core just drop one in your current rig. The 805 isn't a bad CPU but it only really matches unoverclocked 2-2.2 Ghz AMD Dualcores. Once you start clocking or going for the faster ones ( like the 4400+ ) the AMD's are quicker.

Back
Top Bottom