Another uni question :)

Soldato
For some time now, i've been planning to spend a lot of money and build myself a great computer over the summer, after the A levels. Now however, i'm wondering if at uni, since im staying at uni accomodation, i'l use it enough to justify it.
So just wondering, from experience, how often do/did you guys game on your computers at uni?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Sudden said:
For some time now, i've been planning to spend a lot of money and build myself a great computer over the summer, after the A levels. Now however, i'm wondering if at uni, since im staying at uni accomodation, i'l use it enough to justify it.
So just wondering, from experience, how often do/did you guys game on your computers at uni?

I use it everyday. Recreation and work. My university also uploads lectures via the student portal, so having a computer is pretty useful.

Also, from experience, try to save up a lot of money before you start university too. Being skint is no fun.

Soldato
Sudden said:

Mine I could a lot as they used unrestriceted 10 meg, but my advice is sod the games, get 3x400 gig hard drives and rape other people computers of everything they have.

You will not need an awesome PC at uni, maybe some loud speakers as some emo kid will think its a good idea to play his guitar at 4 in the morning when you have uni at 9.

What they dont realise is that at 8 you get up turn your heaviest hard house or thrashiest music, and leave for uni for 8 hrs :D

KaHn

Soldato
OP
Nix said:
I use it everyday. Recreation and work. My university also uploads lectures via the student portal, so having a computer is pretty useful.

Also, from experience, try to save up a lot of money before you start university too. Being skint is no fun.

oh having a computer goes without saying, just wondering about spending for gaming :p

As for the money part, parents :p not a problem

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Sudden said:
oh having a computer goes without saying, just wondering about spending for gaming :p

As for the money part, parents :p not a problem

Well, here I game a lot less than when I was at home. Plus, most first-year accommodation doesn't allow online gaming and the LAN may be limited.

Soldato
OP
KaHn said:
Mine I could a lot as they used unrestriceted 10 meg, but my advice is sod the games, get 3x400 gig hard drives and rape other people computers of everything they have.

You will not need an awesome PC at uni, maybe some loud speakers as some emo kid will think its a good idea to play his guitar at 4 in the morning when you have uni at 9.

What they dont realise is that at 8 you get up turn your heaviest hard house or thrashiest music, and leave for uni for 8 hrs :D

KaHn

Didn't think of that. Brilliant idea :D hehe
I take it you're speaking from experience? ^_^

Soldato
OP
Nix said:
Well, here I game a lot less than when I was at home. Plus, most first-year accommodation doesn't allow online gaming and the LAN may be limited.

oh? I didn't know that. Why no online gaming? bandwith issues?

Also, does that mean they supply you with internet?
If yes, if I want, can i get my own ADSL line?

Associate
Sudden said:
Also, does that mean they supply you with internet?
If yes, if I want, can i get my own ADSL line?

No, since your room almost certainly wont have a phone line and if it does it will almost certainly be some rubbish NTL pay card line.

Soldato
KaHn said:

KaHn

a lot of online gaming could well be blocked so big PC not needed

now for the quote above...i agree lots of Hard Drive space, we had a DC++ Hub running at uni and me and NathanE were the only 2 people who tunnelled out of *** campus for use of torrents etc.. cant go wrong with 1mb down 1mb up at uni, i was uploading 50gb a day across DC++ :eek: total upload for my first year was just over 8TB, not to mention the HDD it destroyed, lol.

LAN gaming could be fun though, but i wouldnt get anything uber powerful, just a lot of hdd space and reasonable gfx, save the rest for social side of uni

Soldato
OP
Lagz said:
No, since your room almost certainly wont have a phone line and if it does it will almost certainly be some rubbish NTL pay card line.
Accomodation Booklet said taht most rooms have a "computer data point"

I'm not sure exactly what that means. I just thought it meant an ADSL line because they wouldn't bother writinng "we have regular power outlets" would they?

Soldato
Sudden said:
Accomodation Booklet said taht most rooms have a "computer data point"

I'm not sure exactly what that means. I just thought it meant an ADSL line because they wouldn't bother writinng "we have regular power outlets" would they?

Prob means an ethernet port to connect to the Uni network + internet

Soldato
McDaniel said:
Prob means an ethernet port to connect to the Uni network + internet

Yeah at uni we had 10meg down and 5 meg up :eek:

Also yes I am speaking from experience with some noncey history of fine art student with his friends at 3 in the morning, just wish I had the speakers I have now ;)

KaHn

Soldato
OP
KaHn said:
Yeah at uni we had 10meg down and 5 meg up :eek:

KaHn

So they do supply net, but as many of you have said, restrict online gaming.
By restrict, mean its not allowed at all or...?
Also, if its that kind of line, unlikely to happen, but if i wanna get my own connection, is it possible?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Sudden said:
Also, if its that kind of line, unlikely to happen, but if i wanna get my own connection, is it possible?

They block ports etc, you can't play games online, download torrents or use P2P online. My connection blocks torrents etc, but I've tunnelled it. I can play online games anyway with my connection, the connection is just crap.

The actually university network here blocks online gaming etc but has a seriously good connection. Which is a shame really :p

Soldato
Sudden said:

Well in my yr (was 2002) nothing was restriced, could use Kazaa, lime wire etc. All on line games were availible.

Playing CS with a constant ping of 7 when everyone else was still using 512k and gettin 60 was fun.

Playing UT with 0 ping :eek:

But not I think they restrict a few sites normally, never heard of games being stopped tho.

KaHn

/cant get your own line in halls.

Associate
Online gaming is blocked at certain universitys.

A friend at Durham can't play online games, at Warwick, nothing was banned apart from torrents, we also had a massive DC network too. Invest in Hard Drives, we couldn't get TV reception anywhere but the kitchen and even then it was poor, so people shared stuff. Its worth getting a good enough graphics card, but no need for a 7900GTX or anything. There will be some people up for Lan Gaming, we had great fun with NFSU2 multiplayer and CoD.

Looking back, i spent too much time on CounterStrike, so remember to game in moderation and enjoy the Halls experience.

Soldato
OP
Anyone have any expereince with UCL with regards to gaming?
I guess i'l find out for sure if they allow gaming once I reach there. If not, I guess i'l have to ask you guys how to do tunneling ^_^

I played UT2k4 yesterday, for the first time with my new 2mb connection. It was just so nice, lol, no lag, like playing against the computer!

I just hope UCL allows gaming.

Also, don't know if this makes a difference, but I applied for student houses instead of halls of residence. Would the internet stuff for them be any different?

I was gonna go for a 150 GB 10,000 RPM hard disk, but from what people here are saying, might be better to go for something bigger :p

Oh and also, online gaming is restricted etc. But did you guys get much time to spend on the comp. playing any single player? or does uni leave no time for that?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom