Motivation

Soldato
I never thought I would be asking this but then this time 12months ago I didnt think I would be doing what I do now.

Bascially I run a IT and Home Entertainment business.

I started last November and every month i was getting busier, turning over more money. My figures seemed to match, if not slightly excel other new businesses I know of.

Then, since mid-April and all of this month they have been shocking. I have been sticking to the same formula but the work has just not been coming in.

It's starting to get to me a little bit. I am not a quitter and would never give up. It's the reason I stayed in college, just because I couldn't carry the burden of quitting something.

I have a brilliant idea, one I think would be in demand and ultimately I would do well from (lets face it thats the point of working and business). Everyone probably thinks they have a great idea though.

However, my motivation is pretty low at the moment.

I was thinking of popping round to the Lotus or Audi dealerships, try and spur me on a little. They may think I am a little weird though!

Does anybody here have any techniques or things they do to give them a boost? (No drugs :p )

Soldato
It's summer - IT and home entertainment take a hit - people start going out, spending on holidays.

When you start getting the dark nights, cold, wet - they'll be back :)

Soldato
I think the key is to have a goal and stick to trying to achieve it. The new car thing sounds like a good idea but only if its what you really want. Pick what you want, the spec, what age even the colour you want then go for it.

Without goals I'm absolutly useless. My goal was to buy a house with my gf, which is now on its way to happening. I was also working my bum off to get a promotion and a nice pay rise which I now have and start my new role as of 1st June but now I'm a bit flat again. New job should perk me up though.

Soldato
Telescopi said:
It's summer - IT and home entertainment take a hit - people start going out, spending on holidays.

Agreed. Are you secure at the moment, even with the business not really coming in? You might see things pick up just before the World Cup anyway, so don't worry. It's worked so far and I'm sure things will work out for you mate :)

Permabanned
Doesn't help when the industry you are in is terribly oversubscribed. Especially at the lower end of the market, ie Home/Small business.

I know this isnt a business thread, however what sets you apart from everyone else? What makes you unique?

In terms of relaxing, why dont you get a new hobby, or try to get into a regime of going to the gym early every morning, should set you up for the day then.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
When I used to do similar work, I found it was cyclical. Some weeks I'd make a relative fortune, others I'd have only a handful of callouts. That's part of running a small business I'm afraid, taking the rough with the smooth.

I agree about setting goals - decide where you/your business want to be in 12 months, 24 months, 36 months, etc and work towards that.

Don't be afraid over overcharging btw - you've got a living to make and if you fix their computer/hi-fi/etc then they've got value for money.

Soldato
OP
Mad old tory said:
Agreed. Are you secure at the moment, even with the business not really coming in? You might see things pick up just before the World Cup anyway, so don't worry. It's worked so far and I'm sure things will work out for you mate :)

I still live at home so am secure, I pay for all of my own things and other bills, and rent and such but obviously it's less than if I was to have my own house.

I would like to be consistently earning more before moving out.

I was wondering if it was seasonal related, but when I worked for a store in sales it went crazy before big sport events.

Associate
Telescopi said:

this is very true..

for motivation : stuff you want (may not just be material), prior achievements (for me its always prior failures/what people say i can't do that motivates me the most), drive to best best/number 1/whatever

Soldato
OP
Oblivious said:
Doesn't help when the industry you are in is terribly oversubscribed. Especially at the lower end of the market, ie Home/Small business.

I know this isnt a business thread, however what sets you apart from everyone else? What makes you unique?

In terms of relaxing, why dont you get a new hobby, or try to get into a regime of going to the gym early every morning, should set you up for the day then.

The IT side of my business I agree, I still get a suprising amount of IT work though. The Home Entertainment stuff I do, I cannot find anybody in my City which also provide this.

Adz, can we have a chat on MSN?

Back
Top Bottom