Simple Cisco question

Soldato
All,

I have a faulty Cisco switch at a remote location.

The remote location has several switches, and i need to replace the faulty one. I want to copy a config from one of the working switches and edit the IP/Host.

This will save me configuring from scratch. What i want to know is, can i export the config, and then load it onto the switch on my desk via Hyperterminal or something?

Thanks all

Associate
All you need to do is save the remote config to your local PC and then when you get the replacement switch just connect from the serial port of your PC (DB9 convertor required) and connect to the console port on the switch.
Then you just start a hyperterminal session and once on the switch paste the config onto it and save it. I would suggest you power cycle it and check on the console the config is good again before shipping it off.

So you basically answered your own question :)

Permabanned
pdw8 said:
All you need to do is save the remote config to your local PC and then when you get the replacement switch just connect from the serial port of your PC (DB9 convertor required) and connect to the console port on the switch.
Then you just start a hyperterminal session and once on the switch paste the config onto it and save it. I would suggest you power cycle it and check on the console the config is good again before shipping it off.

So you basically answered your own question :)
yes but you need to delete 2 lines if you cut and paste cant remember what they were.

Associate
Basically it will work, but you'll need to edit the IP address and hostname. Also, if you are using ntp to synch the switch clock with the rest of the gear (and you should be ;) ) make sure you delete the "ntp clock-period" line in the config you strip our of the exisiting switch.
Note that the usual rules apply with the your vtp config - make sure the replacement switch is set to vtp client before you plug it in. Leaving a switch as vtp server with a higher vtp revision is not something you want to do.

Associate
Do a show run on the switch, save the outut to a notepad file, make your changes and cut the lines that look like this....

Current configuration : 36525 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 10:13:00 UTC Tue May 23 2006 by
! NVRAM config last updated at 10:13:01 UTC Tue May 23 2006 by
!

then fire up the new switch, connect to it via console and then just cut and paste the config back into it.

Soldato
Install the Cisco TFTP server on a machine or laptop on the local subnet (Lets theoretically give it an IP on 192.168.1.10)

Below is a copy of what needs to be run on one of the working switches.

Telnet 192.168.1.1

User Access Verification

Password:******
Cat3500>en
Cat3500#copy startup-config tftp
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.1.10 (TFTP Server)
Destination filename [cat3500-confg]? startup-config

This will copy the current switch config to the machine you installed the Cisco TFTP server onto.

Now you can edit it accordingly using notepad.

As said above you can then hook up the replacement switch via Console/Serial connection, give the new switch an IP then upload the edited config to the new switch using Hyperterminal.

User Access Verification

Cat3500>en
Cat3500#copy TFTP startup-config
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.1.10
Destination filename [startup-config]? startup-config

Make note that the commands are slightly different as we are now going from the TFTP server to the switch. Reload and enjoy, depending on your environment some other modfifcations may be needed.

Back
Top Bottom