A8R32-MVP what is it

Soldato
Hi guys, just a reminder, is this the A8R32-MVP thread still? ;) If so, would this "We I guess ATI have a suspicion that the mastercard is more suseptible to emi and radio interferance than the slave. I think the logic behind the move is to put distance between the cpu, memory other power regulators and the mastercard" work for a single card as well?
ChrisC

Associate
Well since it's another slow news day... I nearly killed my board last night :eek: Yup.

Had been drinking a bit. Well quite a lot really hehe. Went to shut down before bed but accidentally hit restart instead of shut down. Nevermind, I thought, I'll just hold in the power button when it gets to the bit before post. Never, ever, ever do that :rolleyes:

Five minutes later my girlfriend wants a file off my pc. So I turn it back on and... nothing. Hard drives whir and that's it. No obligatory beep from the motherboard and no signal to the monitor.

The next thing you should never ever do is attempt to clear the cmos by removing that little battery with an electrical screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers with a full watercooling system in place when you can't see straight and the room's spinning. It ricocheted off an X1900 and disappeared into the X-Fi front panel :o

Anyway all's well that ends well. Got the battery back in and everything's sunshine again.

Associate
fizzy said:
I also tried this last night after reading the above. Master card now on lower slot, slave/normal card on top slot. Changed card boot mode as mentioned and everything seems to work ok...

....but has not cleared up the interference issue. Mine is definately CPU usage related, as when I run a couple of copies of prime95 it becomes very noticeable - and thats not exactly gfx intensive. :D

Guess I had better start looking for some ferrite cores for the power cables...?

Update on issue - I raised an RMA with ocuk for the crossfire master GFX card. Thought I would do some further testing, to save any potential "no fault found" fees and such.

I used the GFX card in a single pcie slot nf4 based gigabyte board - works fine with no interference, even with the card being powered by the spare pcie power cable from the other (problem) machine (nice long leads on psu. :D) as the 2nd pc's psu wasn't up to powering the card on its own. No intereference even when the main pc was running flat out too - so its not intereference down the pcie power connector...

...so did some more "messing" as it started to look more like a board issue. I managed to reduce the intereference considerably by moving my corsair dimms from slots A2 and B2 to A1 and B1. (wasn't sure if the dimm would fit under the overhanging fan on the heatsink)

Also noticed that the lower I put the dimm voltage, the more the intereference dissappeared. So I set it from "auto" to "2.6" and its a lot, lot better. Informed OcUK of this - and they raised a new RMA for me for the board, stating that "they had seen this before". I assume they are going to replace it..again...... hopefully third time lucky?

I guess this time its a problem with intereference/emi being created on the dimm power circuit/regulator, as I doubt that changing the vdimm has any effect on the cpu memory bus.... :D

So - may get there eventually. Seriously putting me off getting an Asus board again though. :(

Associate
Well, RMA'd my 2nd board which I sent off yesterday. Had an email this morning from ocuk to say it had arrived. Nice to see the postal service being fast for once. :D Email gave the same 7-10 day testing/turnaround time as my first return (standard email I guess).

Suprised to see a short time ago that I had an email stating my order had been shipped - one Asus A8R32mvp board! (B Grade)

Now I'm pleased with the speed at which they are sending a replacement - however suprised its from "B Grade" stock? Was expecting a new board. I realise that this 2nd board is outside the initial 28 day replacement time (due to all the messin' about with ATI etc) but is this normal practice?

Hopefully it was b grade due to package issues, in which case they can just re-use all the bits in the full/complete box I sent back. :D

Anybody have a "b grade" as replacement and were there any issues?

Been sent by courier so I guess I will find out whats its like tomorrow...

Associate
Yeah same thing happened to me with the X1900 Crossfire board I had to RMA. First they sent a brand new X1900 XTX as a replacement - god knows how that happened but anyway was no good to me for running crossfire. Sent that one back too and received a B-Grade Crossfire board in exchange. It works well enough, though I was extremely p***** at the time having spent £400 on a new (duff) card only to have it exchanged for a second hand card. The principle of it is just wrong. I sent a letter of complaint but I never received a reply, nor did I receive a refund for my costs for having to return the card they sent in error.

To be fair, they did respond to the email I sent asking them to confirm the card would have a full warranty despite its b-grade status.

At the end of the day, the replacement - despite having one of the pins from the dvi dongle broken off inside its locator on the card - works and clocks well enough so I've swallowed my pride and let it be.

Associate
Well, package has just arrived. Opened it up to check out the contents etc to make sure everything is ok (especially as its B grade) - to find that I have been sent an A8R-MVP and not a A8R32-MVP as in the shipment order, and as I returned. :(

Just sent an email/contact thingy to OcUk. This is one major nightmare! :(

Back
Top Bottom