AA with Repair cover vs. RAC

Soldato
I'm looking into breakdown cover at the moment, and can't decide.

I can have 25% off the RAC, and 15% off AA, through a work discount scheme thingy - so for this exercise I'm going to limit my selection to these 2.

I'm looking for cover on the road, and be able to drop me off anywhere in the UK (i.e. not to the nearest garage jobby).

My gf's family use the RAC and I've always been impressed by how quickly the respond and no hassle's with them etc. They're also cheaper.

The AA offer the same cover for a little more, and they also offer Repair Cover for an additional £65 a year.

At the moment, I swinging to the AA for this reason alone. But whats the repair cover like? Is it worth it, and how much does it actually cover? Are there any stipulations that would make the cover void?

Whats the concensus on this?

Thanks

Soldato
I joined the AA when my clutch cable went, RAC centre wasnt open to phone up.

They were with me within 25 minutes, took about 15-20 mins to fix at the side of the road and i was on my way.

If i had needed to be towed though, it was free for the first 50 miles, then £2 a mile afterwards! :eek:

On the site it says not cars over 10 years old or over 100k, mines 11 years old and on 106k....... :confused:

M0T

M0T

Soldato
Repair cover stipulates that the service schedule of the car must be strictly adhered to by a proper garage, proved by either service book stamps or a conversation with the garage.

Car must be less than 10 years old and have done less than 100,000 miles.

M0T

M0T

Soldato
They will let you get it repaired anywhere IIRC, as long as it is a registered garage - I.e. you can't take it to the bloke down the road who is handy with the spanners then claim.

Soldato
Both my parents are with Green Flag, and it was cheep, think about £70 for RescuePlus.

But, they've never had to call them out (thanks to reliable Jap engineering) so can't comment on how good they are

Associate
I've had the RAC out twice in the past 6-7 months. They were very good. Ours is a family membership using tesco clubcard vouchers... very cheap indeed.

Can't fault their service, the second time i got them out, it was a tricky problem to diagnose. We had the Haynes Manual out trying to find a relay, spent ages taking it all apart, only to discover that the all the cars in the manual were LHD, must've spent over an hour dismantling and putting the thing back together....

I'm so pleased, i've chosen to insure my car with them (they were also the cheapest though ;) )

Back
Top Bottom