• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Prescott - Too hot to air cool?

Associate
If you was going to overclock a Prescott 3.2 to, say, 3.8, would air cooling be possible if noise was an issue? I wouldnt want 56db right next to my ear! I know how hot they run just on stock, but I have heard overclocking these can be a big issue on air.

How high could it go before air cooling is at the end of the line?

Associate
well ive got a prescott 3.2 here now and it runs damned hot on air at stock speeds altthough overclocking to 3.5 raises the temp to about 75 c, bearing in mind intel say this CPU runs fine to aout 85 or 90, if your going to overclock this CPU get a good cooling system, air will be fin just not a stock intel cooler!

Associate
OP
I do have a Thermalright SI-120 & Akasa amber waiting to get installed along with 2 case fans before I go for any serious levels of overclocking with this, but was wondering if there are any better solutions out there. Bear in mind I have an IC-7 Max 3, so space around the CPU itself is tight

Associate
The perfect air cooling combination for any CPU would be a Thermaltake Big Typhoon and an Akasa Eclipse case with the vented side panel. This easily cools even an overclocked d 840 extreme (the hottest running CPU known to man!)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can imagine that would be, if only the noise wasnt such an issue for me, but as the computer case is almost right next to me, I cant have a noisy fan like that, as I know they make a racket to make the CPU as cool as that :rolleyes:

Associate
Actually, the Big Typhoon's 120mm fan is very quiet and the eclipse also takes 120mm fans...choose carefully and I think you'd be very happy with the noise levels!

Soldato
Prescott running hot is a myth. Sure they are compared to Northwoods but double the cache + more pipelines + electrical current leaks is why.

As long as you have adequate case ventilation + fans and adhere to intels case temp specs you should be fine. The big mistake a lot of people make is not have a front case intake fan as that makes a big difference.

Try to have 1 or 2 front intake fans + the same # exhaust fans and you should be fine even ocing heavily on air.

Associate
OP
Which is exactly the mistake I have been making! I have 2 PAPST 80mm case fans ready to install, along with my SI-120 & Akasa Amber, hopefully after thats all put in I should have a lot less noise coming from the PC, and be able to O/C a lot higher without it getting really heated. I case fan at the front, and the other at the back should do the trick?

Back
Top Bottom