I want to build a HTPC with a difference!

Associate
Hi all...

I want my pc, which i will be taking with me to uni in 5 months time to do everything! I want it to do everything a HTPC would do and all the normal stuff. I have the spec in sig below. So what do i need?

Need a new gcard because the old one is to old now.

Need to buy a nice sould card so i can get good quality sound.

Need a good set of speakers like the logitec z550's.

Need a freeview card, or two.

Need a big hard drive so that i can record freeview.

Need a dvd drive, which i have anway as i have a dvd writer.

Need (well, would be nice) to have a remote.

Need a wireless keyboard and mouse so that i can sit on bed far away and still browse net ect.

I also need a nice tft, maybe a wide screen one.

What else do i need to get my pc to be a pc that plays games and all the things a media pc can do to?

Suspended
You're too vague. What exact parts do you have and type?
ie if we recommend a MATX case and you have a ATX mobo it'll be a bit difficult for you to fit it. :) Do you need a tuner? radio? A few PCI slots free?

Associate
OP
squiffy said:
You're too vague. What exact parts do you have and type?
ie if we recommend a MATX case and you have a ATX mobo it'll be a bit difficult for you to fit it. :) Do you need a tuner? radio? A few PCI slots free?

I have the parts in my sig bellow. I dont need a matx case because i have a full atx stacker case. Im need a new mobo as i will be upgrading graphics card to pci e soon and so i will need one that a good clocker and has a few spare pci ports ect so that i can do do all the extra stuff that most people wouldnt be doing like adding 2 freeview cards.

What do you mean by tuner? A radio tuner? It would nice to have the radio on the pc too. Do i need a tuner then or can i just use the internet or somthing?

The radio idea is a good one, never thought of that myself. Thats all im asking for, ideas.

Would i be a good idea to get a vivo card becuse i am thinking of watching video's accasionally and changing them to dvd too? If i cant get a vivo version of the gcard i want (want a £200 card, like a 7900GT but a lot of them are not vivo), what do i use instead? Is there a card i can buy to do this?

Suspended
hmm the point of a htpc is to be make it smallish, with low heat components and silent as possible, so your mobo and that GFX card is not a ideal solution (unless want a occasional gaming PC as well) The Stacker isn't small by any standards, although nothing is stopping you using it as a HTPC, but kinda waste though?

Yes you can get DAB radio cards, Freeview tuner, and probably cable, sky cards. Can also stream video and music off the net, if you connection if fast enough for the former.

Personally I would just buy a small computer up, start from scratch, nice HTPC or small case, use that 9800 Pro in the HTPC, perhaps make it passive or near silent, buy a new GFX card for the stacker. ie the system in my sig is noisy but for gaming, I have a HTPC with Silverstone TJ08, Asus CSM, one HD, no GFX card. Much quieter.

If you need additional PCI slots ATX with a smallish ATX case. Midi towers take up very little room. Or you could look into the Lascala Silverstone range. Try and find mobo and GFX that's passive (ie the ATI X1300 on OC site around £50)

Associate
OP
Sorry mate i think i didnt explain myself properly. I want a normal pc to do all the extra stuff that a media centre does, ie tv cards, recoring ect. Maybe i shouldnt have used the HTPC title! I have no need for it to be small quiet ect as i dont want a under the tv setup box, i just want a pc that does evything under the sun!

I was thinking of getting a freeview card, as although we have sky downstars at home i wont have it at uni and also i dont think my dad will want to spend extra £10 a month for me to watch sky on my pc! Can i get a freeview card with a radio tuner built in?

What is all this scaling that eveyone is going on about? Can someone explain it to me and tell me if i should bother and why, and what i need to do it?

Associate
i dont understand why you want to build it with a difference, is it that fact it can play games to?

also i may recommend some software called myhttpc it used to be freeware but is commercial now, however the freeware version is still floating about on google

Associate
if your taking this to uni what are you going to be using as a siganl?? in my uni halls they had an arial connection but this was crap. also think about the size of your room, it needs to be silent. i remember when i had my pc at uni, the thing was load as, plus the room was tiny so you could never leave it on over night. just a couple of points you may need to consider.

Associate
You will need a good amount of cooling if you want to put all that kit in together with a new gfx card as well.
Large hard disks create some heat and TV cards make even more, of course you could get them as external usb units.
Or you could get plenty of cooling installed and use a fan controller.

You mentioned a remote, I assume there is the MCE one which is an option or there are Media units with VFDs and remotes by the likes of Silverstone and Thermaltake.

Back
Top Bottom