Networking an iBook and a PC

Soldato
Guys

I have a PC at home and have recently got delivery on a new iBook G4. PC is connected to wireless router & Modem via Ethernet. iBook shares the broadband connection via wireless router and Airport.

I did as Apple website suggested and turned on Windows Sharing in System preferences and it gave me a URL for the PC to connect to for the iBook but that does not work. What is the best way to share files between the two ?

Thanks

Soldato
Are you able to work the other way around and mount Windows shares?

Mac to PC file sharing isn't particularly good, I've found it a bit hit and miss. You could always try turning off the OS X firewall, that may or may not help.

You can always use FTP as a last resort.

Associate
Yeah I have always found Mac to PC networkings a bit iffy, make sure both your mac and pc are in the same domain (at least I think thats what its called) Windows default is MSHOME, go into your Applications folder on your iBook and somewhere in there is a tool to do this (sorry I am not being much help but I dont have my Mac infront of me as I am at work).

Then what I do is have a shared file on my PC as your transfer file (you can have more than one of course). On your iBook click network, then MSHOME and you should see your PC in there, click and connect to it, choose a folder you want to connect to and your away, it should now appear in the Finder.

Hope this helps.

Associate
I have never had problems especially with OSX.

Setup a shared folder on your PC. Then goto the go menu on the mac, select connect to server and enter smb://ipofyourpc/foldername. That should bring up the folder.

To get the mac sharing, goto system preferences, sharing, and switch on windows file sharing.

Works for everytime

Hope this helps
Aaron

Soldato
Loki said:
Guys

I have a PC at home and have recently got delivery on a new iBook G4. PC is connected to wireless router & Modem via Ethernet. iBook shares the broadband connection via wireless router and Airport.

I did as Apple website suggested and turned on Windows Sharing in System preferences and it gave me a URL for the PC to connect to for the iBook but that does not work. What is the best way to share files between the two ?

Thanks

Hiya,
Try appending your username to the URL, this should point it directly to the shared folder, which should in theory work :)

-Leezer-

Permabanned
On your Mac you need to make sure that there is an account on your Mac that matches the username for the user logged into the PC you are using to access the Mac. Add this user to the allowed users in the Sharing > Services > Windows Sharing.

http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/

Download the App for your Mac above - Sharepoints allows you to share full drives and specific folders etc - rather then just being able to see the home directory of the user. Its pretty straight forward to understand.

As long as your Mac and PC are in the same workgroup on your network, you should be able to see the Mac from the Network Places on your PC. Authenticate with the Username and Password you specified on the Mac for that user.

Hope it all makes sense!

Back
Top Bottom