What ways can i do this?

Soldato
Well i got a part time job back in november or so while in my last year at school. I was getting taxed on some BR code when i shouldnt have been since i was in full time education. I got my P60 last month at the end of the tax year and i am still being taxed when i am in full time education. Now,what ways can i claim back the tax? and since my last exam was last friday thats my done with school but not officially so the tax i will be charged from the start of this tax year till i finish school officially how can i go a bout getting that back? or is it not worth the hassle of getting it changed to i dont get taxed to then have to change it when i officially leave school :confused:

I dont get half this stuff :)

Soldato
OP
No i didnt earn more than the tax threshold. Its only been a few months. I got my P60 at the end of the tax year......last month or something. How do i go about claiming it back?

Since the start of the new tax year i have paid tax while still being in education,can i claim that back at the end of this tax year?

Soldato
your p60 will say how much you can claim back ?

take it into your local tax office , be prepared for hassle its like getting blood out of a stone claiming tax back.

Soldato
Iirc you need to contact the tax office yourself - ask your place of work for their details. :)

You're most likely on an emergency tax code and they'll probably send you a cheque :)

Soldato
Kell_ee001 said:
Iirc you need to contact the tax office yourself - ask your place of work for their details. :)

You're most likely on an emergency tax code and they'll probably send you a cheque :)

Which is 50% IIRC.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the link.

Just worked it out to be around 21% tax i was paying. My boss said it was emergency tax.

The tax office on my pay slips is in wrexham...cant go there. So ANY tax office will do to claim it back then.Thats cool.

Associate
Go to your local Tax Office, fill in a P50 form, hand in with your P45 or P60 as dictated in the form, and it should be a fairly quick progress.

I had to claim tax back last month, and I had no hastle and received a cheque in the post about 2 weeks after I handed the form in.

Soldato
Claiming tax back is hard so prepare to work hard to get it back! How much were you earning? Because you could have crossed the tax threshold.

Soldato
OP
Right,found my P60. £1460 paid with £320 paid in tax. Thats from november > march.

Only been taxed £40 since thenbut this month is gonna be bad with all this OT im doing :(

Man of Honour
Just for your information, just because you're in education doesn't mean you don't have to pay tax on your wages, just most people in education earn less than the minimum tax band, therefore don't pay tax.

I'd have thought being in a new tax year your tax code should be right, but I'm not sure on the ins and out of the whole system, so probably wrong.

Soldato
the box with the star next to ( middle bottom )it is what you get back in your tax return

your owed 320 by the sounds of it

Soldato
OP
DaveyD said:
Just for your information, just because you're in education doesn't mean you don't have to pay tax on your wages, just most people in education earn less than the minimum tax band, therefore don't pay tax.

I'd have thought being in a new tax year your tax code should be right, but I'm not sure on the ins and out of the whole system, so probably wrong.

Well yeah im still half sleeping. I get what your saying. Even though im not gonna be in full time education i wont be working full time hours just my 7 hours a week + overtime. So then i still shouldny be getting taxed if i dont exceed the limit per month yes? So its worth my while to make sure my tax code does get changed.

Back
Top Bottom