Recommend me a router

Associate
As title, i'm running a D-Link DSL 604+ Airwaves wireless modem/router and i'm looking to upgrade, what do you recommend.

thx in advance guys.

I have no preference but i do think the netgear is pretty ugly :eek: ;)

Associate
As above the 877W great if you have a decent knowledge of networks, but they are not cheap and IOS upgrades are not free either.Im sure the IOS it comes with (think it's 12.3.8) isn't the best either. Draytek are also great and don't cost as much (around £150). Really depends on how much you want to spend

No competitor talk please!

^^^oops sorry about that^^^ :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The Deuce said:
I have no preference but i do think the netgear is pretty ugly :eek: ;)
lol :D thought the same till i sow one in the flesh, especially the 'iPod' white ones.

Anyhow, recommend keep it D-Link. Got a DI-624+ myself, very reliable & like the design :p Its for Cable broadband though can work with an ADSL modem :)

Soldato
mike1210 said:
As above the 877W great if you have a decent knowledge of networks, but they are not cheap and IOS upgrades are not free either.Im sure the IOS it comes with (think it's 12.3.8) isn't the best either. Draytek are also great and don't cost as much (around £150). Really depends on how much you want to spend

<snip>

take a look there :)

FWIW, my 877 came with 12.4.6.T. You don't need to even touch the command line to get an 877 up and running - the SDM will do it all for you. I'm not a fan of SDM at all, but it does seem to work a lot better than it used to.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Draytek as they seem to be very good at writing a feature list, and less good at making the features actually work.

But yes, it does depend on price, but since the OP didn't give any indication, I'd still recommend the 877W.

Associate
Burbleflop said:
FWIW, my 877 came with 12.4.6.T. You don't need to even touch the command line to get an 877 up and running - the SDM will do it all for you. I'm not a fan of SDM at all, but it does seem to work a lot better than it used to.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Draytek as they seem to be very good at writing a feature list, and less good at making the features actually work.

But yes, it does depend on price, but since the OP didn't give any indication, I'd still recommend the 877W.

did it? mine defo came with the old 12.3.8 version but thats cool if it comes with the newer one now (I bought mine dec 05), mine also came with the older 2.2 sdm which doesnt support all the feature sets but the newer 2.3 does :)

My draytek 2600 was cool even though the multi nat was a pain (outgoing IP address could vary) :mad:

Caporegime
You might want to remove the competitor.
My 877 came with 12.4(4)T1, but that was an Advanced IP version (with the "free" extra flash etc). Bought February this year.

If you can get away with the basic features, Draytek are pretty solid (though expensive for what you get really). Just don't expect all the "extras" to work (properly).

Back
Top Bottom