My girlfriends laptop - Broke?

Associate
After about 10 weeks after buying her laptop, her cd drive failed to show up on my computer, not popups happen when a cd is put into the drive, yet the cd drive spins when you put a cd in.

To fix it we had to reinstall use windows restore to fix it.

Roughly 10 weeks later, it happened again. Could the cd rom be broke or is there some software/driver that is not workin? Device manager can see the cd rom drive but has a yellow icon saying there is a problem with this device.

She doesnt want to reinstall everything again because she needs it for Uni work, but also needs the CD drive.

Does anyone know what can be causing this problem?

Thx

Associate
In device manager, try uninstalling the DVD drive, then windows should automatically find it (if not click the little find new hardware button) and allow you to reinstall it :)

Associate
OP
chrislusty said:
You probably have, but have you tried re-installing the drivers for it? or getting new drivers for it?

Windows days it cannot install drivers because it cannot be found! Even tho it is being shown.

Associate
OP
i think this is the error

"The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)."

Is the method on that link the only fix?

Associate
OP
how do i back up the registery and load it back up if it goes wrong?

The error above mentions the removel of "Easy CD Creator". But she doesnt have this software and has never uninstalled anything from her laptop. Is this still the correct fix?

Thx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom