Outstanding rent at my old council house

Soldato
I moved out of my council flat 8 months ago, now the council have contacted me saying I owe them £200 in back rent. Now I don't mean to be a little suspicious but shouldn't they have contacted me sooner? I left them clear forwarding addresses and to be perfectly honest I know I paid my rent up to date and handed my keys in on exactly the right day so I'd dispute owing even 1 pence.

What are my rights? I've asked them to prove by dates how I owe them rent and I've told them that I won't be stumping up the cash in 14 days even if they can prove it (which I doubt). After 8 months I feel it's a bit cheeky to land this on me. I've NO PROBLEM paying my bills but I honestly don't believe for one second that I owe a penny :( I haven't given them ANY details of when I moved out, I want them to prove I owe them money!

They didnt' even send this letter to the right address, it's by luck I got it. the flats been rented out to someone else in the meantime and I think they only recently moved out.. and perhaps they've contacted me in error. Regardless, give me proof!

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Is 200 quid worth jeopordising your credit rating, I think not.
Ring them and sort it out, either you owe it and pay them or they have made a mistake and you won't have to.
Never bury your head in the sand when it comes to debt.
Do not ignore them.

Soldato
OP
oh hell no I wont ignore them, but I dont think I'm being unreasonable asking for dates of when this rent was due. Like I said before if they can produce this then I'll happily stump up the cash!

Just seems cheeky as hell to take 8 months to contact me then tell me I have 14 days to pay them from the date the letter was sent.. then send it to the wrong address :eek:

Soldato
Similar thing happened to me a few years ago. We moved out on a monday, handed keys in and moved into new house same day.

Apparrently, they continued to pay housing benefit to the old flat and the house for two weeks, meaning id been overpaid by £90.

I ended up paying it but i wasnt too pleased about it.

Soldato
8 months is nothing.
The taxman can claim tax up to 7 years after the event.
Imagine getting a letter in the post today saying that you owe them tax from 2000 - imagine trying to prove you do or don't owe that.

Don't use the amount of time as any form of defence.
Use the fact you gave them all the notice they required and that you handed your keys in on time as you defence.
So long as you followed their rules they don't have a leg to stand on.

Back
Top Bottom