CRT vs TFT Dimensions (+ Single 19" or Dual 17"?)

Permabanned
What are the dimension difference between TFT/LCD and CRT monitors? I heard somewhere a 17" TFT is bigger than a 17" CRT (viewing section of the screen).

Also, what would be more beneficial - Single 19" or Dual 17" LCD/TFT monitors?

Short and sweet post :cool:.

Soldato
Size wise, if TFT or CRT says 17" viewable, it will be 17" viewable. No bigger or smaller.

CRT is BIG BULKY and HEAVY!
I own one and Loving it! It doesn't move anywhere. No one's willing to knick it coz it's just too darn BIG. It's brilliant for Gaming (Native resolution usually 1024x768 @ 90Hz)

TFT on the other hand is, Thin (of course.).
Lighter to move about and apparently sharper image for text (but I'm using a ViewSonic G90f+ and not notice any differences). Dual TFTs looks and sounds cool. I've got a mate with that - great to show off ETC. (Abit of a bumhole when playing First person shooting, coz crosshair is not there. Had to add 1 more TFT to 3 TFTs to solve that problem but it cost so much he's on Beans on Toast till Autumn)

BUT! TFT, you'll have to worry about Response Time - especially when you're gaming, (it hurts my eyes).

So which one tickles your fancy? Big Bulky but good for gaming or Thin & light (and dual to make it cool)?

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH, we need a little more information on what you are doing.

If the answer is gaming and only gaming, grab a single 19" TFT. A cheap suggestion is the 19" acer wide. Lots of people are loving the screen, so by peoples oppions you could well grab that.

If its for office/creative work, then dual 17" is probablly better. 19 and 17" TFT's have the same res (1280x1024) apart from wide screen 19" which is !440x900).

As for size, you can usually take an inch off whatever a CRT says it is (unless it says viewable size, which is rare) 2 inches if the screen is very large (28 inches for example). TFT pretty much is the correct size, you may miss a tiny little bit of screen.

As a rule, a 19" TFT is about as big as a 20" CRT.

Permabanned
OP
I will be using the screen for anything and everything.
I'm a musician, so i'll be making music and using sound generating and recording programs aswell as media players to playback.
I watch films/tv shows once downloaded on my computer so the picture needs to be pretty nice and clear for that.
I do abit of gaming (2D MMO, CS, maybe more in the future).
I also tend to do abit of photo editing - photoshop and the likes.
And the obvious web browsing. I'm currently in 1280x1024 on this 17" CRT.
Since the 17" and 19" TFTs both have that same optimum resolution, would the picture be any larger? i.e would the screen stretch the pixels to fill the whole 19" as opposed to just the 17"?

Associate
Baker said:
I'm a musician, so i'll be making music and using sound generating and recording programs aswell as media players to playback.

I also tend to do abit of photo editing - photoshop and the likes.
And the obvious web browsing. I'm currently in 1280x1024 on this 17" CRT.
It is these two tasks that would really benefit from using two separate screens. One screen to do your work on, and the other screen to leave your tools on. Or have email, browser, IM Client open for research along side your work. Just like having a bigger desk to work on. :)

I've been playing around with my old 21" CRT with a old 15" TFT next to it. And this helps a lot when getting work done. So much easier to see what you are doing as you can keep the main screen less cluttered.

(Though in my case I have had a slightly annoying problem.... my 8 year old CRT obviously didn't like working next to the young upstart of a TFT as it packed up!! So on the hunt now for a nice 19" TFT to replace it)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom