Sata 2 help with asus mobo

Soldato
Be nice if you were more specific when you say "set up" but I will try to answer as best I can.

Installation

Insert the HDD into your case as per your cases instructions. This will most likely mean screwing it into a free 3.5" bay. Next plug in the sata cable into the motherboard and in the back of the HDD. Next is the power lead. Depending on your PSU you may have a choice. Either a SATA power connector or a molex power connector. You can use either, but only one of them. Molex is a 4 pin plug, Sata is an L-shaped plug.

Using the drive

You have two options here. You can just install Windows as normal, and if you have a SP2 version of XP you shouldn't have to install SATA drivers.

If you have problems during setup, or you dont have an SP2 XP disc, you will need to get a floppy disk, USB stick or CD with SATA drivers for your motherboard. At the start of the Windows setup you are prompted to press F6 to install additional drivers. Wack F6 and follow the instructions. Once it has taken the drivers off the disk, setup should continue as normal.

If this didnt answer your question, be more specific :)

SiriusB

Permabanned
OP
sory i wasnt more specific, basicaly i have the drive working with windows installed and all my drivers but i take it, it is working of standard sata but i want to get it working on sata 2 as it will have doublr the speed as my drive supports 300mb/s

Commissario
bbreezeuk said:
sory i wasnt more specific, basicaly i have the drive working with windows installed and all my drivers but i take it, it is working of standard sata but i want to get it working on sata 2 as it will have doublr the speed as my drive supports 300mb/s

I'm afraid you won't get anything like double the speed.

The drive mechanics for IDE, SATA and SATA2 drives tend to be identical, the only thing that changes is the controller and interface.
That can make a difference in speed, but not a massive one (except for the fraction of a second it takes to empty a drives cache), the main difference with SATA2 is that it supports a function that can reduce the amount of moving around the drives read/write heads have to do thus speeding it up a bit (basically it lets the drive finish dealing with one file before moving onto the next, rahter than trying to read/write 2 or more files at the same time).

Remember when looking at drives, you want sustained transfer rates (what it can consistantly transfer from the drives magnetic disks), rather than "burst" which is how fast it can transfer from it's cache ram to the host.

Very few drives can really max out even UDMA 66 consistantly, and that is a much older standard than SATA2.

Permabanned
OP
Werewolf said:
I'm afraid you won't get anything like double the speed.

The drive mechanics for IDE, SATA and SATA2 drives tend to be identical, the only thing that changes is the controller and interface.
That can make a difference in speed, but not a massive one (except for the fraction of a second it takes to empty a drives cache), the main difference with SATA2 is that it supports a function that can reduce the amount of moving around the drives read/write heads have to do thus speeding it up a bit (basically it lets the drive finish dealing with one file before moving onto the next, rahter than trying to read/write 2 or more files at the same time).

Remember when looking at drives, you want sustained transfer rates (what it can consistantly transfer from the drives magnetic disks), rather than "burst" which is how fast it can transfer from it's cache ram to the host.

Very few drives can really max out even UDMA 66 consistantly, and that is a much older standard than SATA2.
ok cheers m8, i guess i wont bother then

Back
Top Bottom