quick DS wifi query

Suspended
Lo all,

One of my mates and his g/f both have a DS each and he was saying he could get them working over Wifi.

Now i thought that you could only use the Wifi option through a PC, so if two people in the same room wanted to play they would still both need to connect through the PC.

He also says that with games like MarioKart DS you only need one copy of the game, i though it was i bit odd but having never owned or read up on the DS i thought id ask you guys.

So whats the deal with wifi? can it work without a PC? If so, how?

thanks in advance.

Associate
To use WiFi you do need a pc though? And a wireless router to go to (Unless you have the USB adapter).
Also if you do wanna use WiFi, you do need your own game card each, unless you were just doing person to person multiplayer.

Soldato
There's three multiplayer types for the DS basically. Normal wifi is just wireless with anywhere between 2-8 DSes connecting directly to each other. With this type there's either single-card multiplayer (you only need one card and all other DSes download the data), or multi-card (each DS needs its own seperate game copy). The wifi online feature is only used by a handful of games (Mario Kart, Metroid), and allows you to connect your DS to the internet through a PC or wireless hub and play multiplayer online.

Mario Kart has all forms of multiplayer, single-card, multi-card and online. Single-card has less tracks than multi, and the DSes without the game can't choose character, but the game itself is fine.

So yes, two people in the same room can play DS games together without a PC involved. :)

Soldato
If your mate and his GF wants to play MKDS together then technically you don't need a PC; one will start up MK then select multiplayer in the game menu (not Nintendo WiFi) and if the other person doesn't have a copy of the game they have to go to the main DS screen and select the 'download' game option. It'll then find the other DS and download the game so they can play each other.

If you mean WiFi as in playing on the internet with randoms then they'll need:

An internet connection and either a) a supported wireless router or b) a PC with the USB Nintendo WiFi dongle.

They can either connect to the router directly if they have option a), or b) they can connect to the Nintendo WiFi service by connecting to a dongle plugged in the PC using the Ninty supplied software.

Hope that helps somewhat :)

t3h :cool:

EDIT: Too slow, what he said ^^^ :o

Associate
I'm going to ask the same question as well, so this thread was helpful.
It was cool that for some multiplayer game you only need 1 game to support it. Idea of downing game from the others was SO COOL :D

Back
Top Bottom