My new motor, chip?

Soldato
Its a 04 reg 1.3 CDTI corsa SXI, 70 bhp, 125 ftlbs. it is ok, just a cost saving exersis for me, plan to have it around a year.
its a bit of a downgrade for me, but great for economy, handles well, not too sloppy and stops well. Apparently a chip will give me 20bhp and a lot more torque. I might be able to live with it a bit longer if I had this.
On the off chance, anyone know anyone who has chipped one of these? I would rather have a tune map done, but the only things I can find are boxes like this...
http://powerklick.co.uk/vauxhall.html

do they just knock up the boost a bit and fiddle the map or what. is it going to damage it in a year? not really to sure how they work.
Can anyone reccomend a particular company? dont even know if the liitle 1.3 could take it! seems to be a good engine though, nice and smooth.

Associate
a standard "remap" is just copying their code over the current software, its almost never custom. Check if its a physical chip being installed or a remap via software, both do the same thing but a remap is a bit easier/ probably better insurance wise. (indetectable)

Soldato
Does this tend to hurt the fuel economy? I'd imagine it would if it's getting more power out of the engine, but I guess you just don't put your foot down as much.

Soldato
OP
I think the economy will probably stay about the same as I wont have to rag it as much. keep the reccomendations coming guys. £130 sounds fantastic, I'll have a look at them.

Soldato
OP
dont know about manuel boost controller, might be wortha look, there not exactly common so I presume not that many people have done it.
They also do a 90 bhp 1.3 cdti in the astra, so I presume it can take a lot more, wonder what the difference is between the engines?

Last edited:
Soldato
exactly, i dont think anything will make a difference, it will still be dog slow :( i really dont know why people buy cars like this lol

Soldato
OP
yea, that was my thaught, just thaught I may be able to put up with it a bit longer, but there is no point in spending £300 on it when I am just trying to pay off my finance ASAP so I can have a car I actually want.

When I said handles well I meant id dosent roll everywhere, the sterring is very vague and too light, and it dosent really handle well, just a lot better than I thaught it would.
I got it because it does 70mpg and my mate swapped (even though this is worth a bit more than my focus was). I think I'll leave it and get rid ASAP unless there is a cheaper way to make it a bit more spritely this should save me enough to get sorted by towards the end of the year, then I can get something proper! :D

Soldato
How much did you pay for the corsa? the amount you pay in the first place for something like a diesel corsa, will far outweigh the saving you will make by running something that does 30mpg for instance.

Soldato
OP
I am well aware of that and I dont do anywhere near enough miles to justify a diesel, I wouldnt buy one, but the corsa is worth more than my 02 reg focus was and I did a straight swap (hope it makes sense now), also I stripped the alloys suspension exhaust lights and stereo out of my focus, so I am in a much better position as I can sell those. Its also still in warrenty and needs no MOT until next summer (when it will be long gone).
The corsa will be worth more when I come to sell it to get the car I actually want later on in the year, I'm aiming to have the finance paid by november/december, just thaught a chip would help me live with it, looking at 90bhp instaed of 70 and a healthy torque increase,I suppose I will have to lump it for a few months!
It will be worth it when I get my teg/LCR/mx5(turbo)/??? you can all help me with that one later in the year!

Soldato
OP
I think its emerging as favourite anyway mate so you may be my guru later in the year.

Back on the corsa front, is there any way of upping the bosst a little, or should I just either chip it or not bother, the chip I'm looking at from dieseltuner.com says it does not alter the boost at all. I think the sensible option is not bother, but I'm rarely sensible! lol

Caporegime
Any decent chip or remap (ie one that isn't a bodge) is going to cost upwards of £300~. You are most likely going to gain what, 10-15BHP and maybe 20NM of torque. Is that really worth it for £300? Its £300 that could be put towards your insurance on something decent :)

I'm umming and aaring about revoing mine for around £500, and that will get me an extra 40bhp, and an extra 100NM of torque.

Man of Honour
Oakesy2001uk said:
Its a 04 reg 1.3 CDTI corsa SXI, 70 bhp, 125 ftlbs. it is ok, just a cost saving exersis for me,

I'm going to get flamed for this but oh well.

How exactly is downgrading from a nice 1.6 Focus to a horrid 2 year newer Corsa which probably involved you paying out a more more to buy it a 'cost saving excercise'?

The Focus is cheap to insure and cheap to run and the extra fuel economy of the Corsa will save you virtually nothing at all - it's not is if you were doing 25,000 a year in a Skyline GT-R and the cost was crippling you.

And I generally worry if, as a Focus driver, you think the Corsa handles well. I have driven a CTDi Corsa and the handling was so bad it was actually funny.

Seems such a shame, you had such a nice car, now you have a dire one, sorry.

Oh, and back on topic, don't chip it, waste of time, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom