Online booking

Soldato
how can I do the following-
I need to basically create a booking system for the ICT room in our school.

There are 9 periods a day mon-sat.

I need to make a web based system that will allow teachers only to go to the site and "book" a room for a period. This should be availible for all teachers and pupils to view, but only amended by teachers.

I was thinking maybe an access database linked with a web interface, or is there soemthing easier?

Thanks for your help!

Soldato
As it is going to be linked with a web frontend, I would personally implement it in a web-scripting language like PHP, ASP or JSP and an SQL database (personally prefer PostgreSQL). It would only require a bit of authentication (HTTP set to session only would probably do) for logging in and out, some XHTML/CSS for web frontend and a few SQL statements to insert and retrieve data.

Let me know if you want more guidance. I am sure there's plenty of people who will be happy to provide advice. :)

Soldato
OP
Guidance?
That all looks like complete Jargon to me!
I have a basic understanding of web design, will I be able to do that?

also can it link to a userlist on a server 2003?

Sic

Sic

Soldato
do you use Microsoft Outlook? we're just implementing that here, and we use it for booking training rooms, so i'm sure the principle could transpose to what you need it for. if what jon86 said sounds too techy, it might be worth, at least, having a look at Outlook. even though it gets slagged off, it's a pretty good app (imo; *waits for flaming*)

Soldato
I am sorry that what I wrote was "complete Jargon". I wrongly assumed you would know what I was referring to. I think Sic has a better answer for you. :)

Soldato
OP
Sic said:
do you use Microsoft Outlook? we're just implementing that here, and we use it for booking training rooms, so i'm sure the principle could transpose to what you need it for. if what jon86 said sounds too techy, it might be worth, at least, having a look at Outlook. even though it gets slagged off, it's a pretty good app (imo; *waits for flaming*)
We dont have the relevant licenses.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
you'll get the same suggestions on a dedicated forum as you will here. only difference being, you might get someone there offering to do it for you at a price. getting relevant outlook licences could prove easier than trying to code it yourself from hand. unless you get a contractor to do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom