How to create this site?

Soldato
Hey fellas,
I'm creating a website to promote the written work of myself and others who're interested. The website will initially feature:

-Daily notes / Updates - on current events + news in the writing world.
-A Weekly/Bi-Weekly feature article - A short, satyrical peice on something topical.
-A Monthly Feature - where I undertake an amusing project (such as being a pretend-stalker)
-Guest Articles / Features - Contributed by fans, whos regularity is dictated by submissions
-Comment posting on all of the above- For people to tell me how poor the work is
-Donations - To hopefully aid in the paying of my hosting

And Possibly:
-A thumbnailed image page to show a collection of photos e.t.c
-Either one large bar, or a sidebar decicated to some non-too intrusive advertising to allow extra money for projects.
-A Weekly review of a gadget e.t.c (once I'm earning revenue, and have a little advertising.

I'll be hoping to also include a user payment-signup system whereby the can subscribe to allow access to previous features, articles, and content that is unique. It'd also be great to have forums if popularity and demand were to rise enough.

I'll be signing up with Dream-Hosting UK and have the following software available to me, show here: http://www.dream-hosting.co.uk/fantastico.php

UPDATE:
On second looking, and checking out the demo interfaces, it seems to be that mamboserver.com has a pretty decent bit of kit, think I'll be using this:

Mambo - Any experience, advice or mockage?

Cheers guys,
Ant :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
Dont use Mambo

Use joomla, basically the same thing, a bunch of key mambo developers left mambo and made joomla. Joomla has a far more active community behind it, and is updated more often

Joomla should be able to do pretty much anything you need

Aaron

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately I only have the following available to me :

PHP-Nuke
Post-Nuke
phpWebSite
xoops
Mambo Server
Drupal
GeekLog
SiteFrame

b2 WebLog
pMachine
b2evolution
Nucleus
WordPress

I'll take a look into wordpress now :)

Cheers,

Associate
Ya know... you could choose not to use Fantastico and just upload the files yourself. It really aint difficult, just takes a little longer, so you COULD use Joomla if you wanted, but i've never used it. I can safely say Wordpress is a good bet with most websites.

Soldato
OP
Lt. Manlove said:
Ya know... you could choose not to use Fantastico and just upload the files yourself. It really aint difficult, just takes a little longer, so you COULD use Joomla if you wanted, but i've never used it. I can safely say Wordpress is a good bet with most websites.

:) thanks.

I'll take a proper look at Joomla now :)

Back
Top Bottom