A Baby's "Diving" Reflex - Do all Babies have it/Anyone tested it?

Soldato
A Baby's "Diving" Reflex - Do all Babies have it/Anyone tested it? UPDATED

Have started taking our 10 week old to swimming classes and have been advised by a qualified professional to start "Dunking" our baby underwater so they get used to the effect :eek:

Im aware of the "Diving Reflex" which most babies are supposed to have which prevents them swallowing water but has any parent tried this with their newborn, im petrified to do it.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure about swimming but in the bath my GF did the same thing to get the kids used to water and they absolutely love the bath now and swimming, the sea etc..

Edit: I wasnt a little uncomfortable with it too but seemed to help, i think. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I have been taking my little girl swimming pretty much every week from when she was very ikkle to now (8month or so)

I was told of this diving reflex but i didn't really want to try it to be honest.

Sorry for the useless post but, i was scared to try :o

Associate
don't do it!!! lol

One of my earliest memories is of my mum taking me swimming in one of those parent and child classes and the worst bit of the class for me used to be when everyone was forced to go under water...parents and kids - used to hate it!

Although I like to think I'm a very good diver and swimmer now :) so maybe it does work...

Soldato
quick googly google said:
Diving Reflex

Babies under six months of age are excellent swimmers due to their diving reflexes. Just like when an adult's air passage blocks during swallowing, a baby can block their throat so they don't swallow water. This is why you often see babies swimming with their mouths open. They'll also move their arms and legs, making these little tykes perfect candidates for swimming classes. Remember, don't try this reflex at home for obvious safety concerns.

Suspended
i learned to swim properly in the sea. I was 5 and all my older cousins were swimming away, apparently i just didnt want to be left out so tried to keep up.

Yeh i never got why parent would 'dunk' their kids underwater. maybe i was, im not sure. If you throw a new born into the deep end i think it would have natural instinct to stay alive and so swim, not that id do it with my kid (when i have one)

Soldato
I believe there are classes for you and your baby for this sort of thing, I'd be happy to do so under the direction of a qualified professional, I doubt very much I'd have the stones to try it on my own though.

Ant :cool:

Associate
One of my (female) friends told me babies have an instinctive reaction to having their mouths filled with sand. They throw up.

Soldato
Gimpymoo said:
Have started taking our 10 week old to swimming classes and have been advised by a qualified professional to start "Dunking" our baby underwater so they get used to the effect :eek:

Im aware of the "Diving Reflex" which most babies are supposed to have which prevents them swallowing water but has any parent tried this with their newborn, im petrified to do it.

HAHA!

I remember, when I was around 3, my father took me with a small raft out in the sea, it was pretty deep and he just pushed me in the water :eek: Next thing I knew I was panicking, he told me to swim or I'll drown, so I started swimming :D

Anyway, gimpy junior has been swimming for 9 months, I don't see why he can't do it now! :D

Back
Top Bottom