WOW! A use for my 350D SLR!

Soldato
OK my dad has around 3000 items that need photographing.
tool-forcep.jpg

this is the kinda stuff that needs photos taken of.

What can we do to do this? I was thinking of a light tent with those lights that you get on ebay for around £80

Any other reccomendations, the potential flaw I have noticed with a tent is that I need to take photos from directly above the item, how is that achieved using a light tent?

Thanks for your help!!

Associate
jamoor said:
how do you get a tripod into a light tent exactly?

A tripod with a centre column that can be mounted horizontally could be helpful in this case, allowing you to have the camera to be positioned easily over the tent.

eg:
manfrotto.gif

Soldato
mrgubby said:
Get one of these from a high street electronics/hobby shop.

They give pretty good results :)

or make your own from a few bit of white card, and some old grey/blue cloth. Mind you if those little cages are cheap, then buy one.

If I had around 3000 similar shots to take, I would definately use a tripod, pre-focus with enough DoF to capture it all and use a cable release. Using studio equipment or a tent I think would be overkill, just arrange some white card to give a nice walled box, and bounce a flash into the box from above. Take test shots to get exposure sorted, and Bobs your uncle.

I wouldn't fancy taking all those shots mind, I once did about 100 shots it took far longer than I wanted it too, and you have 3000. Jpeg will be fine, processing 3000 RAW's will take soe time, even if you use a load of batch actions.

Oh most importantly, get some rechargable batteries for your flashgun...

Soldato
AdWright said:
A tripod with a centre column that can be mounted horizontally could be helpful in this case, allowing you to have the camera to be positioned easily over the tent.

eg:
manfrotto.gif
Which Manfrotto tripod is that AdWright? That looks pretty cool and I would probably love to get one and experiment when I get my 350D. How much are we talking in general for this?

Associate
Yeah, at work I've got a £25ish one from eBay (they've gone down a lot recently it seems). Defuses the light apparantly, certainly better than shooting on a table or something.

I'm still trying to convince them to buy some daylight flash bulbs (£180 ish for two, shop around) as lighting conditions can be a pain. I generally use the custom white balance feature and/or tweak the colour temperature in software.

Associate
MarcLister said:
Which Manfrotto tripod is that AdWright? That looks pretty cool and I would probably love to get one and experiment when I get my 350D. How much are we talking in general for this?

Not sure, just googled for Manfrotto. However, I have the 190ProB, which is very versatile (removable centre column that can be mounted sideways as well, really low minimum height etc) which cost £89 for the legs. Then you'll need to add a head appropriate to your use. I have a ball head (484RC2) which has a useful quick release plate. The head cost about £39

Soldato
AdWright said:
Not sure, just googled for Manfrotto. However, I have the 190ProB, which is very versatile (removable centre column that can be mounted sideways as well, really low minimum height etc) which cost £89 for the legs. Then you'll need to add a head appropriate to your use. I have a ball head (484RC2) which has a useful quick release plate. The head cost about £39
Thanks for that AdWright, just had a quick look at one photography site and think I've found it. Will check out some other sites later on.

Back
Top Bottom