car tax cheque bounced, whats going to happen?

Associate
paid for new car tax disc with a cheque in post office but it bounced as didnt quite have enough money when they took it out :( (got paid the day after)

my old tax disc doesnt run out until the 31st, but what are they going to do? send me a letter saying "send them payment" or what? - how does it work.

i could quite easily pay by card or whatever now. do i have to wait for the letter, will they return my cheque.

any advice. been charged £30 by the bank aswell, but fare enough my fault for not checking my balance.

will i get charged by mr tax man aswell?

Associate
Would imagine you will get a letter requesting payment + possibly fee for bounced cheque, nothing to worry about. You will just need to settle the amount.

Associate
the bank will probably re-present the cheque in a couple of days. Last time "a friend" bounced a cheque, it was presented 3 times before being returned as unpaid, total cost £105 (so I've been told).

As long as the money clears before the end of the month, then I'm sure you'll be fine, if not, there super computer will come knocking on your door.

Man of Honour
Your car tax bught will NOT be valid until it is paid for so after the 31st, your car will be untaxed. Get it sorted mate as if your car is checked by the cops or an ANPR caamera you will show as an untaxed vehicle and dealt with accordingly, despite having the tax disc. If left, the DVLA will likely send the police around to seize the tax disc.

Back
Top Bottom