Replaced mobo now PC won't boot

Associate
I have just replaced my mobo as the old one had a faulty USB header. The new ("used") mobo is a different model to the previous one but still Gigabyte. I now have a 7VT600 1394.

When it tries to boot it say "Serial_CH0 Master : No Device
Serial_CH1 Master : No Device"

it's the same for Ch1. It then offers option to start Windows - normal, safe mode ........, but no matter what I select it starts to reboot and repeat the cycle.

I can enter the BIOS and all IDE devices are detected correctly - HDD, DVD DVD writer. I have tried swapping the IDE cables around on the mobo but no difference.

Any ideas please?

Last edited:
Soldato
did you reinstall windows after installing the new mobo?

if no then perhaps reinstall windows as you have changed mobo's because although your drives are being detected windows may be looking for your old mobo etc etc...

Associate
xirokx said:
did you reinstall windows after installing the new mobo?

if no then perhaps reinstall windows as you have changed mobo's because although your drives are being detected windows may be looking for your old mobo etc etc...

Agreed, when you change mobo's, there is every chance you will have to reinstall XP. Sometimes you can be lucky and XP will boot and reinstall the correct drivers. But you are always left wondering if the old drivers are slowing down your PC or causing a few qwerks.

A clean XP install is the way to go.

[J]

Associate
OP
Hi,

I have tried to re-install XP, but only once, as it failed with a BSD, saying it had stopped the install to prevent damage to the PC. :confused:

Associate
OP
I have some more information. I was talking to one of our Harware guys this morning. He said that the "serial Ch0 master" refers to the SATA interfaces. My HDD, and other drives are all IDE. I did notice in the BIOS that SATA was enabled but didn't think it would be an issue, looks as though it might be. I will disable it and see where it hangs next. :)

Back
Top Bottom