• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GFX cards and HDMI

Associate
This may sound a daft question, but with the popularity of HTPC's in the living room, and HDCP just around the corner, can anyone envisage HDMI equipped graphics cards?

DVI is not HDCP compatible, where as HDMI is, and with the Blue Ray drives coming out, it has struck me that many DVI gfx's cards will cause problems if the PC is used as a Blue Ray/HD-DVD player with HDCP encryption.

Jez

Associate
Ive been looking at this in the monitor section. Aparently win vista with support HDCP, however you will need a HDCP graphics card that will be released along with DX 10. Second hand info here so you might want to go to the monitor section and have a look for your self if you want more details. ****** me off a little as I was thinking of putting my HD capiable x1800xt in my media centre when I upgrade next. Looks like it will be no good.

Edit: checked the spec of my x1800xt and it says it will play HD-DVD/Blu-ray however it says nothing about HDCP

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Like everything PC at the moment - lots happening I guess, what with Conroe, Vista & DX10, HDCP, Blue Ray/HD-DVD .............

I would say roll on the next nine months or so, but I won't as it has been said before, and I wouldn't want to wish away what little time I have left in this wonderful world, just so I could get a HTPC that will last awhile. :)

Associate
poltergeist666 said:
This may sound a daft question, but with the popularity of HTPC's in the living room, and HDCP just around the corner, can anyone envisage HDMI equipped graphics cards?

DVI is not HDCP compatible, where as HDMI is, and with the Blue Ray drives coming out, it has struck me that many DVI gfx's cards will cause problems if the PC is used as a Blue Ray/HD-DVD player with HDCP encryption.

Jez

dvi is hdcp compatible if the maker wishes it to be.

the ONLY difference between dvi and hdmi on paper is that dvi cannot carry audio with its digital signal........hdmi can(full surround audio at that).

so you see it really would be pointless to add hdmi to gfx cards.

Associate
yeah great but dvi is essentially the same just without audio.

dvi is hdcp enabled as long as the device's(eg 2407 dell) hdcp dvi port supports it.

i think the protection is built into the hardware on the monitor, not really much to do with the cable.

otherwise we'd see hdcp dvi cables for sale and non hdcp etc.

Soldato
poltergeist666 said:
Thats contary to what I've read regarding DVI on the AVforums.
Well they're wrong, there are HDTV's with DVI and HDCP. Less common now that the HDMI connection is available. Its the signal thats HDCP compliant not the socket. HDMI is licensed with HDCP.

Is this the Sapphire thing?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think the thread I saw was taken into context with a RP tv - & was something along the lines that the tv set wasn't HDCP compliant, because it had DVI as a hi def input, and that DVI, because it was essentially a computer interface, wasn't licensed for a HDCP encoder/decoder.

I took the content of the thread at face value. ;)

Back
Top Bottom