4th 360

Associate
Going to get my 4th 360

Just about to go to game and pick up yet another new xbox this will be my 4th one now, non having lasted as long as the first one did the 3rd one died like that. This one however had 3 red quadrants on boot up and does have the first time I boot it each day, which i could deal with as when i reboot it each time it worked fine on second start up.

But now its having trouble picking up the wireless controls and also its slowing up something chronic while im playing on it at random times and this has never happened on the other 3, I could understand if it was the same problem with each xbox but its a different thing every time. /end rant

(strangly im still not that upset that im going to have to go out of my way to pick another one up, thats addiction for you :eek: )

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nismo said:
I was confused for a second thinking you had already posted this, or there had been a mass post cull...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17579729

Yeah i even read that thread last night, couldnt decide what to call mine this morning and my Unconscious mind must have taken over :eek: tried changing it but couldnt.

jamie2497 said:
Thats some bad luck man :( Im also on my 4th, turned it from horizontal to vertical and its been working like a charm *touch wood*.

All mine have been vertical :( (p.s didnt pinch your title on purpose :rolleyes: )

JUMPURS said:
I was the same, i took a double take.
I mean whats the odds?? why are there so many dodgy ones kicking around just now. Think these are refurbs?

All mine have had later Manufacture dates on that the last so probaly not refub but you never know

Last edited:
Soldato
Amazing... this long on, and still getting so many failures... anyone know the percentages?

(I have no desire to turn this into a PS3 vs 360 thread, this is mearly an observation)

I now wait for the same situation to play out with the PS3...

Associate
Will be about the same for the ps3, and there will be the same hysteria over it by the people that want to make a big deal out of it - just like they have with the '360.

We had a lovely thread talking about this all rationally with proper numbers taken into account, instead of something as obviously skewed (statistics wise!) as this place. Dunno where it got to . . .

Soldato
AtomicBanana said:
Will be about the same for the ps3, and there will be the same hysteria over it by the people that want to make a big deal out of it - just like they have with the '360.

We had a lovely thread talking about this all rationally with proper numbers taken into account, instead of something as obviously skewed (statistics wise!) as this place. Dunno where it got to . . .

:confused: Where is this 'Atlantis' like thread? :D I would love to see some offical stats on failure rates and the such. (Will do a little Googleing methinks). It's certainly an interesting 'yardstick' with which to compare previous release failure rates and up and coming releases of the Wii and PS3...

It's inevitable, but it's always interesting to see how the various corporations respond.

Soldato
JUMPURS said:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17535828&highlight=xbox+360+poll

i can understand the launch ones being a bit funny, but i mean 6 months and 4 xbox's later, not great.

Troo...

20% failure rate, however this is a hard number to work on because as we know, the human psyche is happier to broadcast complaints than it is to laud praises. So we tend to find out more about the failures than the successes.

After a bit of Googleing I found a couple of interesting tidbits:

There is a MS Claimed failure rate of around 3% which is IMO within the realms of acceptable failure rates. It'd be interesting to get some return stats from one or a few of the major retailers in the UK.

PS2 - keeping in mind the subsequent success of the PS2...
Wikipedia said:
Owners of early PS2 models purchased from launch until spring 2002 commonly reported faulty optical drives in their consoles. The earliest drives suffered from a constantly misaligning laser lens but later defects were the result of a shift in voltage to the laser itself. The first problem was relatively easy to remedy, but it required opening the machine's casing and tweaking a cog that controlled the lens' distance from the discs it was supposed to read, thus voiding the warranty. This usually didn't matter, as in most cases the warranty already had expired by the time such problems began to appear. The second fix involved the use of an oscillator. As time went on, more and more drives began breaking down and a class action lawsuit was filed against Sony. They had the option of either paying the requested fines in damages, or offering free repair and replacements at their discretion. [3] Sony chose the latter and, until February 2005, they honored their agreement. In the UK owners suffering from this flaw must pay Sony £50 (as of spring 2005) to get their machines repaired.

XBOX - it is really hard to find anything on the old XBOX because the 360 has flooded the web. :rolleyes: This is indicitive of how many consoles get treated these days :)
Wikipedia said:
In July 2005, a 22 year old Cambridge University graduate was convicted under the EU Copyright Directive for modifying Xboxes and selling them with an upgraded 200 GB hard drive, which was pre-loaded with 80 games. This was the first conviction of its kind in the UK. (The Directive makes it illegal to circumvent copy protection systems on hardware including video game consoles). It is the first conviction since the Directive was enacted in October 2003 in the UK. He was sentenced to 140 hours community service, ordered to pay £750 costs at a court in Caerphilly, Wales, and his computer equipment was confiscated.

It has also been really hard to find stats on the Dreamcast and Gamecube as these (Dreamcast especially) had their share of failures also...

Soldato
SteveOBHave said:
Troo...

20% failure rate, however this is a hard number to work on because as we know, the human psyche is happier to broadcast complaints than it is to laud praises. So we tend to find out more about the failures than the successes.

Yeap, though i voted mines was fine :p
The other problem is its a Poll when u can only post one result so if anyones broke after they voted we wont know, also people who are onto their 4th have no way of recording faulty 3 times on the poll, so it is a bit inacurate. At the time it really did seem quite plausable though, especially for a release batch.
What i would like to see is independant figures from somewhere, also broken down by region. Are Europe getting **** ones but US getting the good ones? i know that sounds cynicle but it wouldnt surprise me.

Soldato
JUMPURS said:
Yeap, though i voted mines was fine :p
The other problem is its a Poll when u can only post one result so if anyones broke after they voted we wont know, also people who are onto their 4th have no way of recording faulty 3 times on the poll, so it is a bit inacurate. At the time it really did seem quite plausable though, especially for a release batch.
What i would like to see is independant figures from somewhere, also broken down by region. Are Europe getting **** ones but US getting the good ones? i know that sounds cynicle but it wouldnt surprise me.

LOL yeah, really cynical :D

I think we'd have to know what the testing regime is like before release, but I'd be dubious with a deliberate release of naffed 360s. It's more like pulling a number out of a hat I think, and the UK is a smaller territory and as such, if you get one failed batch we all get to know about it :)

Soldato
I honestly think theres going to be quite a few more problems come summer time.

These units already run pretty hot and thats with very mild temperatures. Can you imagine what it'll be like come summer time and ambient temps of around 30oC?

The 360's are probably tested in a nicely air conditioned factory with cool ambient temperatures.

I reckon we'll see more failures in the coming months.

I hope mines not one of them! :p

Associate
OP
Well just returned home with my new xbox :D gonna set it up now and i hope all is well, also managed to pick up table tennis for £22.50 because i had £7.50 worth of reward points so not a bad day really.

HDD is made in china this time was singapore last time, also the xbox itself is only 4 days newer than the returned one.
**All up and running now seems fine and touch wood my run of bad luck has ran out now. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Slightly OT, but the other night my headset started to come apart a little. Is it covered by any sort of warrenty? Also, when is the wireless headset coming out?

Ta

Caporegime
Anders0n said:
Slightly OT, but the other night my headset started to come apart a little. Is it covered by any sort of warrenty? Also, when is the wireless headset coming out?

Ta
Yes, every bit of hardware is covered by warrenty as it carries a price tag.

Man of Honour
GuruJockStrap said:
These units already run pretty hot and thats with very mild temperatures. Can you imagine what it'll be like come summer time and ambient temps of around 30oC?
My old 360 has been tested for 6 hours in a 32 degrees environment and has been perfectly fine on PGR3

Back
Top Bottom