A8R32-MVP what is it

Associate
daftVader said:
That's not cool. :( What's going on with their quality control? :confused:

Tell me about it - so far thats 3 x £8 (recorded delivery) down, and still no ok board as yet. :( I put a nice little letter with the history of the issues so far, asked asked them (nicely) for the correct board, and not from b grade stock. :D

Guess I will have to see what happens. Would be nice to have it back up and running for the bank holiday weekend.....but I digress - this is a shop related issue...

I'll let you know if my 3rd A8R32 board is ok....

Soldato
Damm, cat 6.5's are out but still no bios, unlike last time when both were available on the same day. It's looking more and more like Asus seem to be not giving the kind of support this mainboard really needs....

ChrisC

Associate
Is there a list of problems with this board Asus need to work on [exclude performance tweaks]?

The Sil controller is broken, but the rest seems to work fine for me.

[Though I would be very disappointed if they don't fix the Sil issue since it would mean losing one SATA port, which I do not want]

Associate
For me now, it's that whenever I make a change related to overclocking in the bios, I have to save & exit and then power down before the settings will take. If I don't power down then the machine just sits there trying to post but not getting anywhere.

TooNice: Have you updated the Sil drivers through Windows Update? I notice some new ones were posted dated 10/May/06.

Associate
Unfortunatly I have this problem but is more severe, it won't even let me save one setting without being able to POST. I literally have to clear the CMOS every time I wanna switch on/off my PC or reset.
I've updated to 0404 and downgraded to every other bios release there is but that hasn't made a difference.
I'm RMA'ing this board and gonna ask for an nforce 4 based mobo in its place. :(

Associate
daftVader said:
TooNice: Have you updated the Sil drivers through Windows Update? I notice some new ones were posted dated 10/May/06.
Thanks for the headup (I only recently updated to the March version, and didn't expect a new driver so soon).
I gave it a shot, but still no go. I suspect that it is not a driver issue, but the controller bios. I've tried a couple of drivers, and the changes are marginal, within margin of error: burst speed always remain under 20MB/sec.

Soldato
squiffy said:
Anyone updated SATA controller firmware? 7.2.x.x on my board, 7.3.x.x on the Silicon Image site.

Bit risky :eek:

Its not quite that simple.

You have to extract the older firmware from the bios rom and then insert the new one.

I have done it in the past with other boards, but i wouldnt recommend it as it didnt seem to improve much

Associate
I would think that you wouldn't have to use RAID. Gary from Anandtech have said that he's asked Asus to update the controller bios in the next update. No idea if that is going to happen, or if it'll fix the current problem.

Associate
HOw do you guys feel about cat 6.5

Hey guys i installed 6.5 and it blows for me. I went back to 6.3. I play mostly racing sims and gtr was capped at 38fps and pretty choppy. 6.3 about 89fps
Lowerd 3dmark06 about 200pts to 4825
with rain at 1920 x 1200
Running 404

What do you guys get?

Last edited:
Associate
Gave me an increase in 3dMark06 of about 30 points to an overall score of 10005. No noticeable difference in any of the games I play, but certainly no decrease in performance.

Last edited:
Associate
fizzy said:
Well, package has just arrived. Opened it up to check out the contents etc to make sure everything is ok (especially as its B grade) - to find that I have been sent an A8R-MVP and not a A8R32-MVP as in the shipment order, and as I returned.

Just sent an email/contact thingy to OcUk. This is one major nightmare!

Even worse - I sent a webnote as soon as I received this incorrect board, and they raised an RMA to return it. Didn't have the original order number to hand so I used the one on the slip with the incorrect board (which did have the right item listed on it, just b grade).

Explained the situation in another webnote, and put a printed version in with the board, asking then to send the correct board and not a b grade item....please.. :D

Got a couple of replies back next day. One was "we have shipped your order" for a replacement for the incorrect replacement - which was a bgrade board again... :(

...and another reply stating that it was due to me putting the incorrect order number in the webnote (even though I put the RMA numbers etc in that had already been allocated to me - so why should it need an order number, which it insisted I entered? Confused... :( ) that they shipped another bgrade item. But they were the ones who decided to send a bgrade item unexpectedly in the first place.

Yet another RMA was then raised by them to get the incorrect Bgrade item replaced with a new item. Fair enough - but I have already returned the incorrect not-the-right-board and also a bgrade item..erm...item. Rang them up to discuss it, to basically ask if they can just send me a new one straight away, rather than the bgrade one which I would have to return under this new RMA - but it had already been shipped out. :(

So Friday afternoon I received a plain brown box with just a motherboard in. Decided I would send it back - but missed the post office. Had to go in saturday morning - but just missed the collection service. So its sitting in the post office until tomorrow now. At least its out of temptations way though so I haven't used it.

So all being well, by the end of the week I should have a new, working motherboard. Only had to send a board back 4 times in total (at my expense) so far, so if this one has any problems I'm calling it quits and getting something else.

Don't you just love computing? Great timing too as my cars also decided to have big problems, and over the bank holiday weekend too. :(

Associate
fizzy said:
So all being well, by the end of the week I should have a new, working motherboard. Only had to send a board back 4 times in total (at my expense) so far, so if this one has any problems I'm calling it quits and getting something else.

Well, finally got my correct replacement through. This is my 3rd A8R32-mvp board now...

.....and I still get the screen interference problem. :( Arrrgghh! So its either an inherent fault with the board, or there is an issue with my Crossfire Master Card after all... <sigh>

I give up. :mad: Don't wanna go through the same hastle I did getting a replacement motherboard to get a replacement gfx card. May well just stick to using one card, and use the master card in the other pc, which had no problems with it...

Associate
andyr said:
Hi Fizzy , which x fire cards do you have, as in what brands out of interest really

When I ordered the Crossfire x1900 Master Card, it was simply listed as an "Ati" card. I actually received a full retail boxed "HIS" card. Ordered a "HIS" X1900XT to go with it a few days later, while they were on offer.

No idea if they are the only brand of crossfire cards that ocuk stock, or if Connect3d or whoever else also make them?

Back
Top Bottom