pc turns on by itself

Associate
Hi,
recently my pc has been turn itself on, i think it turns on sometimes when slight movement of the case e.g. when i put something on top of the tower. my psu is seasonic s12 600w. and its plugged into a belkin surge protector.
anyone know why this happens?

Associate
Aliens! :p :D

Check whether the power switch wires are firmly in place on the mobo. Also check the connections on the power switch itself. I'm talking about the case power switch btw.

Soldato
MichaelHo said:
Hi,
recently my pc has been turn itself on, i think it turns on sometimes when slight movement of the case e.g. when i put something on top of the tower. my psu is seasonic s12 600w. and its plugged into a belkin surge protector.
anyone know why this happens?
I'd check that all the plugs are in properly espeically the ones from buttons, lights, etc on the case. Then into the BIOS to see what might be set to 'wake-up' the PC. Usual culprits are keyboard, mouse (not 100% sure), LAN, modem, etc. Most likely might be something dodgy/v.sensetive on your case (maybe the on/off button) if you say that 'when i put something on top of the tower' is when it happens. Also, in the BIOS there's a setting to 'restore' the PC after a power failure that could also be the cause, you know maybe dodgy power cable :confused:

Soldato
Sounds like a wakeup-ON device.

Check your bios for Wakeup-On settings.

EDIT:Sorry missed the part about moving the case.

In that case my guess would be a loose or incorrectly wired cable.

Associate
OP
the only thing is, it only started happening recently, ive had this pc for a while now and its never happened before. I havnt changed anything on bios and havnt been anywhere near the jumpers inside.
The only thing that has changed since this started happening is that ive got a new LCD HDTV monitor. it sounds stupid but would it have anything to do with what plugs are next to what on my surge protector?

Associate
MichaelHo said:
the only thing is, it only started happening recently, ive had this pc for a while now and its never happened before. I havnt changed anything on bios and havnt been anywhere near the jumpers inside.
The only thing that has changed since this started happening is that ive got a new LCD HDTV monitor. it sounds stupid but would it have anything to do with what plugs are next to what on my surge protector?

Has to be a loose connection then, as mentioned above, check the PWR_SW wire and headder, could be shorting elsewhere, take out your mobo and check the back of the board, mainly around the main headder area, but check the whole thing to be sure.

Hope yu get it sorted m8.

Soldato
orderoftheflame said:
wrap it in tin foil... it'll stop the goverment / aliens trying to read your hard drives while your asleep! :eek:

LMAO!

It'll also stop anyone fullstop viewing it....

Its normally a good idea to put a disclaimer with these kind of comments, you would'nt believe the things i've heard people do because ' they read it on a forum somewhere '. Silly i know, but people will be people..... LOL! :D

Associate
OP
things has jus went from bad to worse!
now when i try to shut down my pc it restarts itself.
this is after ive basically taken the whole pc apart and rebuilt it. it was working fine that day and only today it has started to reset itself :S
the only change i can think of is software changes, changing to a new monitor and just yesterday i got a new surge protector.

Back
Top Bottom