Raptor vs SCSI?

Caporegime
My friend is looking for a fast hdd and needs to know if there would be a difference in games and other apps?

73.5GB Fujitsu Ultra 320, 80-Pin SCSI 10,000rpm Hard Drive, MAW3073NC with 8MB Cache, 4.5ms

Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache 4.6ms

They both cost the same amount and he already has a controller card.

I was thinking the scsi drive would be better because it has a much higher transfer speed, I know Its better for file transfers.

Man of Honour
SCSI will win, but the fact that you'd have to run a small airport to cover up the noise is what puts me off.

Oh I see I didn't actually look at the drive speeds.

Ummmmmm I have no clue :D

Nix

Nix

Soldato
WD > Fujitsu, make wise.

There's no real difference between the speeds in all reality. You probably wouldn't notice it.

Associate
Energize said:
Surely though there would be a difference because sata is 150Mbps and scsi 320Mbps?
Not when the individual hard disks don't really reach enough bandwidth to saturate either bus. Only once you start doing RAID will it really make a difference.

If you check out the StorageReview performance chart, you can see that Raptor 74GB more or less whips any 10k (and even some 15k) SCSI for desktop (non-server) applications, including gaming. In fact, if you're talking about the new ADFD 74GB, I would wager that it would be the fastest (or possibly joint fastest with the 150GB ADFD) for non-server applications, even including all the 15krpm drives.

Associate
Well, the 150GB should have a slight advantage (larger capacity often enjoy a slight advantage over the smaller drives).

But I agree, for desktop applications, it is a non brainer. Plus, the non 15k RPM Fujitsu aren't that outstanding.

Associate
The seagate chetahs are only 30db for the 10k rpm disks but seagate also have the new 7200.10 drives which are suppose to challenge the raptors and they are only 7200rpm and still really quiet

Soldato
What controller card has you friend got? If it's the standard Pci/Pci-x then you are not really going to see much of an advantage with the single 10k Scsi - if, however he's lucky enough to own a Pci-e controller card all bets are off - tell him to pick up a couple of matching drives and all bets are off!

I run a couple of the 15K cheetahs in a Raid 0 (with a single as my windows partition) and I'm never going back - there are ways to deal with the noise and the load times (in game) are second to none! (just don't set them all defragging at the same time :eek: )

Associate
I run a couple of Atlas 15k's and they are really not that loud. I don't know what others are running but I am nearly always first ingame after a map change (CS:S/Q4) I have a pretty average Prescott @ 3.75 too. Only when you start un'raring or something does it become loud, I quite like the noise though, it sounds fast :O

I have some Fujitsui 147Gb 15k's and they are quiet, hardly louder than most 7.2k IDEs.

If it was 10k scsi vs Raptor, I think I'd take the Raptor just for ease.

Back
Top Bottom