Canon may halt development of film cameras

Associate
From dpReview

What a difference a word can make, in this case it's the word "considers". An earlier Reuters UK news article stated "Canon to halt film camera development", shortly afterwards Reuters were forced to correct this and replace the word 'to' with 'considers', hence "Canon considers halt to film camera development". With this subtle change (and some edits in the article itself) the news is, well, nothing definite. A Canon spokesman has essentially stated that they are currently trying to decide if there is a need to keep developing compact and SLR film cameras because of the shrinking market.
SOURCE

What's your take on this? I, for one, would be dissapointed. Sure, it's not as popular as it once was, for obvious reasons - but I certainly beleive film to still have a home amongst photographers.

SCM

SCM

Associate
They might keep the high end film cameras, I assume they do these like Nikon does, going for the professionals but the public is generally going digital now. Very few manufacturers are making film cameras for the public as they dont want them now.

SCM

Soldato
Yeah it would be a shame but I guess current film cameras have all the features people need and as long as EF lenses continue to be developed then they will still benefit from the upgrades.

It's amazing how fast technology has moved on though.
I was reading something on the BBC News website last week that said when the new Wembley stadium was designed a darkroom was built into the plans. Now they have scrapped that to make way for another digital media/press centre.

Man of Honour
I can't say I'm surprised really, I doubt there's anyone buying a compact or APS film camera these days and the SLR market is likely to be bottom end 300Vs or top end 1 series bodies and to be honest I doubt that there are many PJs still using film.

As SDK said, there's nothing more needing added to 1 series film SLRs, there hasn't been a new one of those in 5+ years, the 1D series still use the same AF & metering modules as the film bodies so there's obviously nothing wrong with the basic technology.

Soldato
SDK^ said:
Yeah it would be a shame but I guess current film cameras have all the features people need and as long as EF lenses continue to be developed then they will still benefit from the upgrades.

It's amazing how fast technology has moved on though.
I was reading something on the BBC News website last week that said when the new Wembley stadium was designed a darkroom was built into the plans. Now they have scrapped that to make way for another digital media/press centre.
less said about Wembley :)
by the time its ready it will look outdated hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom