• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900GT knackered already?

Permabanned
Thought i'd post and ask here before RMA'ing my 2 month old 7900gt. Lately i've been getting weird things happening while playing CoH. I've had very large triangles of colour projecting from my characters body, sometimes there's one sometimes theres a few. Exiting and re-entering the zone usually gets rid of it.
Another strange thing i've been getting is bands of bright primary colours. For example the map thats used for dreck has broken buildings where its just bits of the wall sticking up from the ground. It's the cross sections of the walls that had the strange colour to them. I forgot to take a screeny of that one but logged on today and i noticed that the trees have the same bands of colour going through them.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

Any ideas guys? The card isnt overclocked. I tried to automatically detect once with coolbits but i just got little red blue and green dots on my screen before the machaine restarted itself.

Soldato
to put it into perspective we need to know how many cards have been sold so far.

if its like only 5000 then 5% of 5000 is a bit high.

but if its like 50000 then 5% of that is not too shabby.

but even if 100 thousand cards have been sold 5% of that would mean 5k faulty. still stings a little.

Soldato
5% for any high-end electronic device is absolutely terrible. Its not just the replacement cost, its the processing, testing, admin and postage. Do you think device profits and markup are so great that 5% doesn't bite? And that figure's going to go up now. People will start testing and finding their cards have a problem. Or think it has a problem, but it doesn't and send it back anyway. Nightmare.

Associate
Cyber-Mav said:
to put it into perspective we need to know how many cards have been sold so far.

if its like only 5000 then 5% of 5000 is a bit high.

but if its like 50000 then 5% of that is not too shabby.

but even if 100 thousand cards have been sold 5% of that would mean 5k faulty. still stings a little.

Haha, proportionately 5% is going to remain the same. How can you say 5% of 5000 is 'a bit high' as opposed to 5% of 50,000 being 'not too shabby'.

Man of Honour
Guys I think you need to read the article more carefully:

he explained that the return rate had moved up somewhere between 3% to 5% on those cards

That doesn't mean that 5% of the cards are being returned, it means that the return rate has increased by around 3-5%. Or in other words, instead of getting 100 cards returned a week, they are getting 103-105.

So in fact we can't actually glean any info about what proportion of cards are failing, just that more are failing than before.

Associate
Erm, I didnt hear Gainward being mentioned there, does that mean there cards are safe? I would think they have some answering to do, seeing as I returned a 7800GS+ for being faulty, which makes me a little bit uneasy with testing the new replacement they have sent me.

No longer is it happy faces putting in a new card, there will always be that little voice saying what if its wrong, damaged, or some other problem? The more technological advances there are, the more walls & barriers present themselves. I must admit, id be tempted to go ATI if there %'age of breakages are lower.

Associate
The problem for me: something once sold by XFX & all these other companies can't be trusted, the QA testing is none existant, let alone the cherry picked core lol

Associate
It does start to make you concerned about all these companies now, when before you thought they cherry-picked the cores & memory for there specially run high speeds that are guaranteed etc, and they are leaving there QA testing to us, the end user, to test that they properly work as promised, and if not there is another procedure to go through.

I just prey my lucky stars that the faulty card was from OC, if it was somewhere else, I wouldnt have got such a swift service for turnaround times.

Back
Top Bottom