3 pin to 2 pin or 4 pin power cable advice

Associate
i've just installed an antec fan controller and have now realised that the power cables that lead out from it don't fit all of my fans.

the power leads from the antec fan controller are 3 pin male (yellow, red, black). this is okay for my cpu and gpu fans as they have the female 3 pin connectors.

the problem is that all my other fans (120mm) came with my antec p180 and have 4 pin connectors - with only red and black wires.

i'd like advice on being able to connect the 4 pin connectors at the fan end to the 3 pin connectors at the antec fan controller end.

is it simply a case of connecting the black to the black and the red to the red - with a bit of wire cutting...

or, is it best to get a proper adapter to bridge the gap - if such things exist.

i think i might have read that i shouldn't really be connecting 120mm fans to the antec fan controller - especially the real chunky one at the bottom of the case.

all advice welcome before i go an blow up the machine when connecting the wrong wires.

Associate
OP
thanks for the link, DaveMac. if i had know about them at the time i would have ordered the connectors at the same time of the fan controller.

i don't think i'll mod the connectors - i'll have to think.

Back
Top Bottom